Hunter 27 Bimini

Aug 4, 2021
Hunter 27 Eagle Mountain Lake
I need to replace my Bimini. The previous owner said that the Bimini was jury-rigged so it was not the right one for this boat. Suggestions? Do's and. Don'ts.
I have checked the Hunter website for ideas. I am not certain what measurements to take. It was previously mounted outside the coaming measuring 8'6". The distance from the bottom of the cockpit to the bottom of the boom is 6'. And where do the straps connect to secure the Bimini? Thanks in advance.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!!

Do and internet search "hunter 27 sailboat bimini images" and you will plenty of examples of biminis and likely one for your boat year AND how they are mounted and where the straps go. You will find bimini measurement guidance here: How To Measure For A Standard Bimini Top - Bimini Top Help Guide (iboats.com) AND your bimini supplier. Are you fabricating one yourself or purchasing from your local or on-line canvas shop? This site sells a pre-measured bimini for your sailboat Bimini, pre-measured (hunterowners.com). The following is how I would take bimimi measurements and I would mount the straps to the gunnel. Others in the forum might have a different view.
  • Length: – Measure the length between the companionway to the stern that you want to cover
  • Width: – Measure the width between mounting locations on port and starboard gunnel
  • Height: – Measure the height from gunnel to the base on the boom leaving say 1 inch or so of clearance

Last edited:
May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Also, welcome to the forum. As @sail sfbay suggested, do an internet search to get some ideas, however not all cockpits on like boats are rigged the same. Winches and cleats may have been relocated and/or added making it kind of unique. Placement of other devices also come into play. Your best bet is to seek out a reputable canvas guy/gal to come to your boat to take measurements and give sound advice. Starting from scratch, i.e. new frame and bimini top are not going to be cheap. Do it right the first time and you will be a lot happier and the up front cost will translate into less cost than having to redo later. Good luck. Send pics of the new bimini.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
First of all provide the model year of your boat as the configuration of the backstay, the boom, the coamings and the cockpit in general varies with different models and will largely dictate the design needed. The harsh sun of many Southern locations usually require a full size bimini to cover as much of the open cockpit space as practical. Where there are shrouds, fixtures on the coamings and the limiting factors of the boom those universal bimini tops found prebuilt at boating stores can be very hard to fit with the results usually lacking in adequate height and coverage. If you have the budget a custom installation is always best. They cut canvas to clear most obstacles and design the tubing frame to cover the largest practical area. The canvas will usually include zippers for easy removal and installation while the tubes will swivel or collapse out of the way when the canvas is removed. Look on the internet for canvas makers to see if they have precut tubing frame kits and the corresponding canvas top for your boat model. Check the reviews if available and go with a reputable vendor with a fair policy for returns. The other alternative is to call on a local canvas maker for him to measure your boat, design a top and frame, and give you an estimate for the fabrication and installation. A good bimini will allow you the most shaded enjoyment of your boat but a poor fitted one will just give you a lot of frustration.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The year model boat is important. If late 1980’s 27 or later boat, call the forum store and ask for @Dave Groshong as they do have some of the later 27’s Bimini patterns.

Former Hunter dealer

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
The Bimini was on the boat when I bought it. It is a simple design with few fittings, so a canvas shop should be able make one for you fairly easily. It wont be cheap. One inch stainless steel tubing is about $5 a foot and Sunbrella canvas about $23 a yard. I would suggest having a canvas shop fabricator coming to your boat and getting an estimate.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Here are my suggestions. Bimini Height: minimum 6-6" ideally 7'. At that height while slightly heeled you can see the horizon without bending over. Width: follow the toe rail generally although with straight sides. This results in an isosceles trapezoid. Length: Overhang your cockpit at the stern to ensure shade for you when you are at the helm. Bring forward edge as far forward as possible without interfering with the boom. Remember the goal is to provide maximum shade in the cockpit and that requires you to maximize the length and the width. Make sure the supports in no way interfere with your winch handles. This will cost you maybe four thousand dollars.