Hunter 27-3 furling mast woes

Aug 21, 2022
Hunter 27 (2005) West Access Marina
On our new-to-us 2005 Hunter 27-3 has a US Spars furling mast with Doyle Sails. We broke the halyard swivel hook off the halyard swivel, by over tightening, in a desperate effort to get the sail furled back in. Would anyone have an idea about a replacement part for this? US Spars says the hook is not in production and not in the inventory. 2005 was the only year they used this method of Thank you for your reply.

Aug 21, 2022
Thank you for your reply. This is the swivel hook I need. I am not sure how it attaches to the bottom of the halyard swivel. The incident also bent a screw that attaches to the swivel up by the top, and protrudes through the mast's sail slot. I just can't locate drawings or images of how this looks when assembled. Yes, do you know of a fabricator?

Attachments

Aug 21, 2022
Thank you for your thoughtfulness. I will prepare for a conversation with Mark tomorrow. There still could be hopes to go out again this season. But more importantly, to get it right for the future.

One last thing, I have learned how I contributed to the problem by not having the boom at a 6 degree slope into the mast, to allow the furling to rollup properly. The photo of your magnificent boat make it appear you have a furling mast. Tell me, do you adjust your boom up to 6 degrees to furls and unfurl? Do you keep it there at 6 degrees when sailing, even when you might want to flatten the sail in strong wind?

I can't tell if the sail sliding down on the first two times out was due strictly to the halyard stretch, if the halyard swivel was set up wrong, or has some other malfunction. I have replaced all the halyards, inhaul and outhaul lines, and had the furling mechanism rebuilt at the US Spars factory. Does any thoughts come to mind of what else I need to look for?

Although I can frame this as a learning experience, I feel a great sense of disappointment in the outcome of such an exciting purchase.

Aug 21, 2022
That is what I will try to have done. These forums are really helpful. Good questions that spur thinking.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
At US Spars, did you talk with David in Sales to see if a spare is lying around? I think his last name is Lively but first name I am sure of