Hunter 265 w/Nissan throttle/shifter problems

Aug 12, 2021
Hunter 26.5 Lake Texoma
Owners of Hunter 265 help me out. My boat has the 9.9 hp Nissan w/electric start. The controls are mounted in the cockpit. The linkage is accessible thru the hatch on starboard side. My problem is this linkage is really loose and does not shift well at all. Is this something that is available to be replaced? If so any ideas on where one could be located? I'm thinking this was original equipment in 1988. My thanks in advance.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Last edited:
Aug 12, 2021
Hunter 26.5 Lake Texoma
Thanks sail sfbay. What I need is the mechanism itself. The linkage. If the O.E. cant be found, I am wondering if there is a aftermarket alternative for this setup? I appreciate your effort.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Sorry about that.........Can you post a photo? In the meantime suggest getting the parts diagram and checking with your local Nissan outboard motor dealer for the shift linkage.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020
Hunter 23.5 Frenchtown, MT
I can't help with the Nissan (mine has a newer Yamaha) but wanted to say that it's nice to see another 265 owner on here! we have been thoroughly enjoying ours this summer.

Aug 12, 2021
Hunter 26.5 Lake Texoma
I can't help with the Nissan (mine has a newer Yamaha) but wanted to say that it's nice to see another 265 owner on here! we have been thoroughly enjoying ours this summer.
Thanks for the reply. I am still a few days away from getting mine back in the water. Watch for me. I will probably have more questions. lol.