Hunter 260 Fridge?

Dklein

Nov 1, 2018
Hunter 260 Looking to Trailer sail around
We are about to trailer down from Nebraska for our second Coastal visit to Southern Florida in January. Last July we trailer out Hunter 260 to Everett Washington and sailed around for about a month. We really missed not having a Refrige and got tired of hauling ice to our "stock" ice chest that came with the H 260 boat. We are thinking of an Engel MR040F-U1 40 Qt AC/DC Portable Tri-Voltage Fridge/Freezer. I currently have two lead deep cycle batteries with an 85 amp solar panel. We plan sailing along southern Florida to the keys and mix up our evenings docking at marinas, mooring balls and on the hook, so we will have electricity part of the time. Questions: #1. How does it fit? (wife hates to lose countertop) # 2, does it get proper ventilation in that space? 3.. Should I get different batteries like gel batteries and replace the lead Batteries? I have read the older form of 260 Fridges, any new ideas? Thanks for the input and any ideas of spots to stop on the way would be welcomed. We hope to start at Punta Gorda

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
That is the spirit of a true trailer sailor. Now that is called expanding your sailing area. I would not worry about the type of batteries but would conduct a power survey and budget for the trip in order to be able to formulate a recharging plan. We have sailed extensively in the Florida Keys with two wet Group 27 deep cycle batteries. We did carry a Honda 2000W generator to power the battery charger at anchor or on occasions power the A/C unit on the h320. We like hot showers, restaurants and exploring on land so an overnight stay at a marina every other day helps keep the batteries charged. Sorry cannot help about where to locate the fridge but can offer a few recommendations to conserve power. Pre-cool the refrigerator on shore power, adding frozen foods helps maintain temperature, keep the fridge in the shade, a full refrigerator works more efficiently than a partially full one. Keep your drinks in a cooler and limit the number of times you open the lid of the fridge. Good luck.

Dklein

Nov 1, 2018
Hunter 260 Looking to Trailer sail around
That is the spirit of a true trailer sailor. Now that is called expanding your sailing area. I would not worry about the type of batteries but would conduct a power survey and budget for the trip in order to be able to formulate a recharging plan. We have sailed extensively in the Florida Keys with two wet Group 27 deep cycle batteries. We did carry a Honda 2000W generator to power the battery charger at anchor or on occasions power the A/C unit on the h320. We like hot showers, restaurants and exploring on land so an overnight stay at a marina every other day helps keep the batteries charged. Sorry cannot help about where to locate the fridge but can offer a few recommendations to conserve power. Pre-cool the refrigerator on shore power, adding frozen foods helps maintain temperature, keep the fridge in the shade, a full refrigerator works more efficiently than a partially full one. Keep your drinks in a cooler and limit the number of times you open the lid of the fridge. Good luck.
Thanks, we could not decide where we wanted to buy a boat on the coast and leave it so we thought this trailer-boat idea might work.... so far it's been AMAZING!! Washington was Fantastic!!! Had two Orca whales breach about 30 yards from our boat in the Puget Sound. Never will forget!!! Our bucket list is to sail the four corners

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Nice plan
If you do go with that fridge please post an update. I’d love to read a review

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Also check out this thread...

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I have been racking my brains on this one. What are the demensions? Where are your batteries located? Measure where the cooler goes. The Honda 2000 may be a choice.

I will be glad to help but after the new year with your 260. Feel free to ask who I am. Pvt message to me. Merry Christmas

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Thanks, we could not decide where we wanted to buy a boat on the coast and leave it so we thought this trailer-boat idea might work.... so far it's been AMAZING!! Washington was Fantastic!!! Had two Orca whales breach about 30 yards from our boat in the Puget Sound. Never will forget!!! Our bucket list is to sail the four corners
We also sail a Starwind 223, which we trailer all over the East Coast, one of the Highlights was watching the fireworks for the 4th of July anchored in the Potomac River. We have crossed the State of Florida from East to West through the Okeechobee Waterway. Sailed the Long Island Sound into Mystic Seaport to visit the Museum. Spent a few Days in Tangier Island in the middle of the Chesapeake Bay and got pinned by a storm in Ocracoke Island in the Outer Banks of NC. The big boat goes to the Bahamas but the little boat everywhere else. Save a couple of days to go to the Dry Tortugas, it is about 60nm West of Key West but watch for a weather window. There are a few Cays in between where you can anchor overnight.