Hunter 260 Edson Steering Pulley (Cable Jump)

Jul 15, 2020
Hunter Hunter 260 Lake Tahoe
I have the Edson steering pedestal and wondering if anyone has had this same problem.

I was sailing in a fairly strong breeze and heard a crack, lost all steering and at first thought the rudder had snapped. Dropped sails and the anchor while I figured out the issue.

What had actually happened is that one of the rear pulleys (in the fuel locker /seat compartment) had been completely pulled through the fiberglass, IE; there are only two carriage bolts that hold them in place and they ripped right through the side of the seat/ fuel locker.

I fabricated 3/16 thick 2.5in X 4in stainless steel plates to displace the forces over a larger area...and if you have the Edison steering pedestal I recommend you do the same. I was installing the plates and pulleys today but the steering cable has jumped off the pulley at the bottom of the pedestal and is wedged pretty firmly between the roller and the bracket. I gave plenty of slack in the cable but cannot get this to release from being wedged.

Part of the problem is that it is very difficult to access this area (under of the pedestal via the thin void through where the cables run from the fuel locker) and primarily need to be done by feel. I was trying to do this today on the mooring in quite rough conditions, not ideal.

I am wondering if it would be easier to completely disassemble the pedestal? Any thoughts on how to release this wedged cable?

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020
Having done some research.. I have read about others drilling a 6" 3/8 inspection port under the pedestal. Seems like the way to go long term but if I could get the cable out in the short term please send your ideas!

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
How is the sheave attached to the bracket? My Lewmar pedestal has the sheaves riding on a pin, held by a cotter pin. If yours is similar you may need to remove the cotter pin to pull out the axel pin and free the sheave.

With regard to your original problem - did you check whether there was any wet core in the fiberglass. It’s possible that the original configuration just wasn’t strong enough, but if the core got we that would certainly weaken it and might lead to another failure even with the backing plates.

Jul 15, 2020
Thanks David. The sheaves are attached the same way as yours. As far as I can tell. there is no way to remove any pins or disassemble anything without pulling the steering pedestal and deck out. I will opt for installing the 6 inch hatch as this is likely a reoccuring issue if there is any slack in the cable. The fiberglass is bone dry, I will be reinforcing it in any case once I pull the boat out the water.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I will opt for installing the 6 inch hatch as this is likely a reoccuring issue if there is any slack in the cable.
Mine also has a second larger cotter pin at the bottom of the bracket which serves to hold the cable in the groove even if it goes slack. You could check if your bracket could accommodate something like that. Having the cable get wedged in a seaway could make for a bad day.

Jul 15, 2020
I wonder if anyone has the instructions for the installation of this system? If so, could that person please post them? Thanks!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
It has been 2018 last time I worked on a 260 wheel steering so a few photos would help me out. In addition does the base of the pedestal sit on a raised portion of the cockpit floor. Send me a phone number via private message.

Dave

Jul 15, 2020
Fix: So I fabricated stainless steel plates and installed them to displace the forces over a greater area (see attached photo). I picked up the stainless from a local steel forge for free. Getting the cable out of the roller is another story. Very tight and difficult to get to. I backed out the nuts holding the cable in place next to the rudder to get some slack in the system. Removing it required brute force and ignorance, and positioning your body in a position it’s never been in….. and I hope to god never go again.

Opened up the steering pedestal by removing the compass and positioned a flash light on the ledge behind the fuel local where the cables run through. That way I could look down through the pedestal to determine the situation with the cable.

Ultimately the solution required using an open end wrench around the cable and forcing it out of the jam . I’m 6ft tall and just about had enough arm length and power to push the cable out if it’s jam.
Tightening everything up systematically so there was no weird angles on the rollers in the anchor locker.
The take away for me is to check your cable tension (if this becomes slack there is 100% chance it will jump the roller) in the fuel locker and definitely add the stainless plates to displace the forces. It is scary to loose steering in a storm so close to other boats.

I will also be adding a 6inch access hatch through the aft berth ceiling to be able to check and lubricate the rollers when I pull the boat at the end of the summer. Hope this helps someone.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020
@philiefay

check your private messages. There is also a 26/260/270 Hunter group on Facebook too.
Thanks for the PM Dave. All the best to you and all the help you have provided me and others here.
Fix: So I fabricated stainless steel plates and installed them to displace the forces over a greater area (see attached photo). I picked up the stainless from a local steel forge for free. Getting the cable out of the roller is another story. Very tight and difficult to get to. I backed out the nuts holding the cable in place next to the rudder to get some slack in the system. Removing it required brute force and ignorance, and positioning your body in a position it’s never been in….. and I hope to god never go again.

Opened up the steering pedestal by removing the compass and positioned a flash light on the ledge behind the fuel local where the cables run through. That way I could look down through the pedestal to determine the situation with the cable.

Ultimately the solution required using an open end wrench around the cable and forcing it out of the jam . I’m 6ft tall and just about had enough arm length and power to push the cable out if it’s jam.
Tightening everything up systematically so there was no weird angles on the rollers in the anchor locker.
The take away for me is to check your cable tension (if this becomes slack there is 100% chance it will jump the roller) in the fuel locker and definitely add the stainless plates to displace the forces. It is scary to loose steering in a storm so close to other boats.

I will also be adding a 6inch access hatch through the aft berth ceiling to be able to check and lubricate the rollers when I pull the boat at the end of the summer. Hope this helps someone.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@philiefay
when replacing steering cable which requires running through the pedestal down through the bottom, I would remove the end fittings from both ends of the new cables and then run the cables thru a long small diameter tube. Then I took a long crowbar underneath to direct the cables were pointing backwards toward the stern