Hunter 260 Ballast Modifications

Feb 20, 2016
Catalina 22 Palm Harbor
There is a 2003 Hunter 260 w/ Trailer ( I am not a Trailer Sailor) available in our area for sale (Northwest Coast of Florida ) that has a
Water Ballast modified, filled with 1900 lbs. of concrete versus the 2,000 lbs. of water that the boat was designed to hold.

I am new to Water Ballast only because we live in a low tide shallow water passage to the Gulf, making anything more than 30" Draft an issue . So I need to consider the 260 or Catalina 250. Catalina 250's are very difficult to find, regardless of the year.

End of the day....................should I be concerned about this "Concrete Sled" rendition of a Hunter 260 WB for sale in our area?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Water weighs 62.4 lb/cf vs. concrete weighs 140 lb/cf. Therefore, the ballast has a large void. Seems like that might impact its center of gravity and stability. Personally, I would purchase a boat specifically designed ballast for concrete OR water. Suggest reading this thread about a 260 ballast filled with concrete before you purchase.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I remember hearing about that boat. WALK AWAY FROM IT.
The trailer will be over the limit of gross weight with tires blowing. The bunk boards will badly indent the hull possibly to the point sever hull damage. Boat was designed to tow without water ballast but in this case a bigger vehicle. Loading will be difficult.
I could go on but the hull was not designed for concrete

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
They ruined a perfectly fine water ballast sailboat. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot boat hook.o_O

Last edited:

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Assume the depth of the ballast water tank is 12 inches and is rectangular (not exactly true). The density of water and concrete were given a few posts back and if the weight of the concrete and the water (ballast) were the same, the concrete depth would be 5.3 inches. CG of 12 inch of water would be 6 inch above the bottom of the hull. CG of the concrete would be 2.65 inch above the bottom of the hull.

So. changing from water to concrete possibly lowered the ballast CG by 3.3 inches (assuming I did all this correct).

3.3 inches... Im guessing that it might make a tiny bit of difference in righting moment but the damage to the trailering benefits of water ballast plus maybe needing a beefier trailer and tow vehicle.. definitely not worth it.

I would guess whomever did that sealed the bottom of the boat before adding the concrete but how would you insure that the concrete is bonded to the hull. I would not want that concrete moving around at all.

Might be fine in the water if the concrete is somehow bonded to the hull. But if you ever decide you need something different, you will almost have to give that boat away.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I agree with you regarding Walt. I guess he did not read my response nor the other post of mine you referred to. He obviously is full of bull fiddlesticks. I thank you for contributing to the forum