Hunter 25.5 Bow Damage Advice

Jun 9, 2004
- - Lake Travis, Austin
I hope I can get some advice on how to repair or replace damaged hardware on a 1985 Hunter 25.5.
Recently, a big windstorm blew through my marina and broke a couple of docklines on one side of the boat. This allowed the boat to drift over and tangle with the steel winch drum that anchors the dock to the lake bottom.
There was some fiberglass damage to the bow and forward starboard side which should be easily repairable (no holes in the boat) says my fiberglass guy. However, the bow pulpit, the roller furling drum and the forestay/stem/chainplate (?) were all damaged. So far, my research as yielded no luck in finding replacement parts for this hardware on a 38-year old boat.
So, here are some pictures followed by questions....
IMG_3141.JPGIMG_3132.JPGIMG_3119.JPG

1. The roller furling is a Harken Mk1 Unit 0 (circa. 1985) of which apparently no replacement parts are available. Can a newer version of roller drum be swapped in without replacing the entire furling unit?
2. If #1 is not an option is there a company that could repair the mangled drum?
3. What is the official name of the stainless steel plate that the forestay attached to on the bow and has a curved chainplate that bends over the bow and is bolted into the bow? I have been calling it the Forestay/Stem/Chainplate, but I'm sure that is not the right answer? Also, is this a Rig-Rite original part? If replacement is not an option can it be reshaped back to its original form without damaging the intergrity of the forestay attachment?
4. The bow pulpit is slightly bent over, is it worth getting a new one made or is there a company that can reshape it back to the original dimensions?

Thanks for any advice or assitance you can offer, I appreciate it.
Mike

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I would assume Harken can answer #1 if you call them

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Pretty sure you can remove the drum and stainless mangled part. That can be hammered back into shape.. if done cartfully and polished, it'll be fine looking. When you begin disassembly, the Torlon (plastic) ball bearings in the tack swivel will all fall free .. and they don't float (I know this) so be ready to catch parts.. The pulpit can be bent back to original form with judicious application of bending (not so much hammering) forces.. The forestay anchor also can be removed, inspected for cracks and bent back into shape if not cracked. Mast probably should come down for that work, but it can be braced by removing the jib and tensioning the halyard to either the forward toe rail or a forward deck cleat.. .. The stainless "bowl" around the furling drum is probably going to be the most challenging job. Good Luck..
EDIT: Under "Owner Resources" click on "General Downloads" and scroll down to "Harken" .. There is some info on Unit 2 .. Yours is probably a Unit 1 .. I have this .. note the note in the bottom right corner about the "bowl" :

Attachments

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2004
- - Lake Travis, Austin
Thanks for the advice, I have reached out to Harken for assistance but haven’t got a call back from their technical department yet.

kloudie1 - appreciate the info and links, I’ll dig into them. The mangled drum is preventing me from unrolling and dropping the jib, which has to be done before I can drop the drum unit to try and coerce it back into the original shape.

thanks for the help!

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I'd consider using your main halyard attached to one of the bow cleats and then tightened enough to support the mast, and then remove the furler drum from the chainplates. You should be able to unroll the jib to remove it, then use the jib halyard to replace the main halyard to support the mast. I'd think you'd be able to remove the whole drum assembly from the foil.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Al Fooks who owns SBO and the forum store remained in Florida use to work at Hunter In manufacturing, warranty and parts sales. I suggest talking with him regarding the bow pulpit and chain plate

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
You can unroll the jib by removing the sheets and unrolling by moving the clew round and round. Storms do this lots. !