Hunter 23 - Standing Rigging Replacement

Jan 6, 2015
Hunter 23 Sanford, FL
Hi,

I am replacing the standing rigging on my 1987 Hunter 23 and have a question for those of you that have done this previously.

The side and fore stays are attached to the mast with stemball backing shells. Please see the photos.

I had a little concern about removing them, but in discussion with the rigger, it was recommend to knock the rivet stem out, drill out the rivets and remove the shells from the mast. This worked well, in fact I think knocking the rivet stem out wasn’t really required, merely keeping a light touch on the drill, i.e. stop as soon as the head of the rivet is drilled through, then the stemball plate just falls out and I then removed the remainder of the rivet from the shell.

Regarding the type of rivet to use to attach the new rigging, initially I was thinking they needed to be something special, like ones with a high shear strength. But as I considered it further, I end up thinking the main purpose of the rivet is to hold the stemball shell in place, that the vast majority of the load is taken by the bearing surface of the stemball shell against the interior of the mast. That the rivet contributes minimally to load bearing.

So, my question do the rivets need to be structural or would run of the mill Lowes/Home Depot rivets suffice?

Thanks,

DougStemball1.jpgStemball2.jpg

P100D

Jul 24, 2016
Hunter 23 Nashville TN Percy Priest lake
Replaced mine 3years ago. Your thinking is correct. Regular rivit will be fine with obviously regular inspection. Mine are fine after 3 years freshwater environment.