Hunter 22 Mast Raising from Trailer Single Handed

Aug 1, 2019
hunter 22 Colorado
I think I’ve read every post there is on how to raise/lower mast. I figured out a method to meet my requirements.

• Single Hand
  • From Trailer
  • Safe in “windy” conditions
  • Simple

-----------------------------------------------
mast.9.jpg

Photo 1: On the Hunter 22 the mast is stepped on the keel. That allows this method with no Gin Pole. Connect the mast to the tabernacle and rest it on the mast crutch at the stern.
mast.1.jpg
f

(you have previously added a U bolt at the top of the trailer mast crutch). Run the winch strap up through the U bolt and connect it to the Topping Lift. (in my case this is just a rope that extends from the top of the mast and has several usages). This gives the best angle to winch the mast up.
mast.2.jpg
f

Rig two straps - one port and one starboard. Each comprised of a rubber tie down plus a cam strap. Connect this between the upper shroud tackle and the trailer frame.
  • Connect to the trailer at a point aligned about 18" forward of the chain plates.
  • Snug the cam strap up with just a little tension. The rubber tie down will be stretched when you raise the mast.
mast.5.jpg

Use the winch to raise the mast. The shrouds secured with the stretchable tie down will keep the mast centered as you raise it. Watch the tension. As you are going up (or down – adjust the tension using the cam strap to keep tension on both sides.
mast.6.jpg

mast.8.jpg

Connect the shrouds and the fore stay to their respective plates

Lowering the mast is simply reversing the steps above.

With this method there is no need for second person. Definitely single-hand. Also, you never have to lift or pull anything that’s heavy. That is important to old guys like me.
c
c

mast.10.jpg

Attachments

Last edited: