Hunter 212 hull crack

Aug 8, 2023
hunter 212 bowdoinham
Looking at a 2002 212. It has a hull crack from the shear line down to the keel and has a mirroring crack inside the cabin. Is this something that can be plastic repaired or is this a serious structural issue?

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
No idea without several pictures of the crack from all angles. What is the hull made of, plastic or fiberglass ?

Aug 8, 2023
hunter 212 bowdoinham
Crack runs from shear line at rear of bow pulpit vertically down to keel. Hull is hunter plastic. Biggest concern is matching crack in cabin wall.

Jan 4, 2006
:worthless:

Big crack, small crack, matching crack in bulkhead ? Maybe it's only cosmetic or maybe they're ready to separate the boat in half. If you're serious about purchasing this boat, take several pictures of the affected area.

Aug 8, 2023
hunter 212 bowdoinham
Unfortunately the boat is over an hour away and the current owner only posted 1 picture showing the crack. Trying to decide if it’s worth the drive to go look.

Jan 4, 2006
Trying to decide if it’s worth the drive to go look.
Tough call. Only your will know if it's worth the time.

Walk away
If @Crazy Dave Condon says so, he's most likely right. He's a retired Hunter dealer and given his age, was likely at it since the last Ice Age. Try sending him a private message to explore any further considerations if this boat can be salvaged.

Aug 8, 2023
hunter 212 bowdoinham
That makes three of us. I look back at 70 with some fondness. i don’t mind a little diy but there’s a reason I don’t play with wooden boats any more.