hunter 212 center board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 5, 2010
Hunter 212 Harbour Island Bahamas
Hi everyone. I'm new to this group and new to sailing but always had a deep love for it. I recently purchased a wonderful sail boat, the Hunter 212.

My problem is, the cable for the center board is broken. Have anyone here have experience in repairing this cable. The prior owner told me that his son run up on a sand bar and pop the cable and he didn't want to go up into it housing to try a fix it because he was worried about what he might find. So it set on the trailer in the his back yard for four years. I saw it and bought it. The boat is in good condition, the sails are good, just the cable for the keel is broken. I unscrewed the bolts from the center board cover in the cabin and I see two cables, one twisted manufacture cable and a straight smooth wire coming from the center board, both are broken.

Today I will take it off of the trailer and mount the boat on crates high enough for the keel to fall.

I want to know, am I embarking on a major a major problem.

Dec 31, 1969
- - -
Well, the problem is that you have landed in the forum for smaller hunters mostly 170s and 146s. My hunter 170 has a rope attached to the top of the swing keel. to lower it you let the rope go and the thing drops. You pull the rope and it swings back up. You might want to post this question in the "Smaller Boat" forum or "ask all owners" Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.