Hunter 2004 44DS Air Con Question

May 29, 2024
Hunter 44DS Baltimore
Hunter gurus, anyone replaced the aft air con unit? Unit is Taylor Made (Marine Air Systems which got bought out by Dometic) and trying to find out a like replacement. Was/is this a 6, 8, 10, 12, or 16k BTU? Thanks!

Dec 4, 2023
Hunter 44 Portsmouth
The rear unit in my 2003 44AC is a 9k BTU Taylor Made. I haven't replaced it since it still works perfectly, but there are great, inverter-throttled options that are more efficient and have the ability to throttle down to lower the output and keep the set temperature instead of constantly cycling on/off (which I kind of detest as a liveaboard).

Inverter A/C's:
VELAIR

There's also DC A/C's available now that are top dollar. But offer the best efficiency if running off batteries.

Personally, the inverter A/C's are the most promising/interesting to me.

The existing unit lives in a box in the starboard side rear lazarette. I'm 5'-11", 200 lbs and can climb right into the locker. My boat also has a panel in the aft cabin that appears to come off to provide access to the unit from the other side. I would start by getting access and taking measurements of the footprint and height to compare to modern units.

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
Why replace if you can repair? The compressor is usually a long wearing component and the electronics are somewhat easy to rapair/replace. What is the motivation to replace?

Repair will be the easiest approach replacing the fewest components of the system.