Hunter 18.5 Forestay Connection

Aug 5, 2022
Hunter 18.5 Big Creek
There is a definite learning curve when getting a different boat. Sometimes you just do stuff with out thinking about it too much. But now that I little time has passed and I start to notice more things I have more questions to ask.
I am not sure that I am connecting the forestay correctly on my Hunter 18.5. On the fitting at the bow there are three holes for making connections. I am using two of them for the forestay and the hanked on jib. I have connected the forestay to the middle hole and use the aft hole for the jib tack pendant. As I look at it I am not sure that what I have done is correct. It may not make a great deal of difference in in moving the forestay to the forward hole, but I would rather do things the right way. I can see where I would be able to increase the mast rake a bit more because the forward hole is a little higher. But I do not have a great deal of confidence in my ability to accurately measure the mast rake. If the boat is one degree out of level then my measurement of the mast rake is off one degree as well. I had previously tried to leveling the boat by using the stripes on the side of the boat. I measured from the ground to the stripe at the bow and stern. Then I adjusted the trailer jack until the measurements were the same. Or is there a better way?

Also I am wondering what the third hole might be used for?

Thanks for any and all input.

IMG_1709.JPG

Jun 12, 2021
Hunter 240 Aqualand Marina, Lake Lanier
If you are freaking out over this you need to relax. Perhaps there are drawings in the owner's manual that you can check. Just because the designer set it up one way doesn't mean it is the best way. Things tend to evolve and change. I often fall into these kind of projects in order to make everything "right", or even worse, "perfect", and I know what it means to stay awake and over think these things. The hardest time I had my first year was trying to enjoy the boat without worrying about each small detail.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
As a former dealer, I use to attach the forestay to the elevated hole in front. Looking at the forestay turnbuckle studs, they reveal the threads were deeper into the turnbuckle body.