Hunter 18.5 and trailer opinions on this boat please

Dec 13, 2022
American 146 St Pete
I would love to see if anyone out there still is sailing one of these and the real opinion on the ease of rigging at a ramp , is it a good camper , how she sails , what you pull her with as far as SUV , any good memories and pictures thank you

bzano

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 18.5 Lake Hopatcong, NJ
Hi
I'm a longtime H18.5 owner. I like the boat a lot, a small boat with a fixed keel makes it feel bigger than it is. Not as easy to trailer as a centerboard or swing keel boats of the same size. I keep the boat at a seasonal slip and perhaps once a year trailer to a destination for a week of sailing. I have done some modifications over the years to the trailer (courtesy of a local welder) and built a tongue extension as the built in tongue extension is not quite long enough. I step the mast with one helper using a boom vang to pull the mast up while the other guy steadies the mast and provides additional lift. Seems to do the trick. As for a camper, never used it as such not even slept in it overnight. I guess you could with one other person.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Look at the mast raise system for the hunter 19 water ballast and then send a private message to me as I designed that system.

Dave condon