Hunter 170 re-bedding a screw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kivalo

Jun 5, 2011
Hunter 260 Owasco Lake
Hi all,
Apologies if this is a repost as I searched the archives and couldn't find a topic.

My brother's 170 stripped out some screws on the rudder bracket. Considering the boat is "plastic" what is the proper procedure to re-bed the screws?

Thanks

Brad
s/v KIVALO

txjim

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 170 Grapevine Lake, TX
Hi, Brad, hope this is not too late. The boat is plastic but the rudder bracket screws into a wood block with LONG SS screws. Hardware stores typically sell devices to assist in resetting these screws but another approach is:
1) Inject moderately thickened epoxy into the hole. A syringe is needed and you need to be sure the epoxy is present the entire length. I used G-flex: See the kit that includes the filler at http://shop.hunterowners.com/prod.php?13522 or at your local West Marine.
2) Tape over, allow to dry
3) Redrill
4) Reinsert bolts but be sure to not overtorque.

Remember the bracket extends force laterally and does not tend to pull on the screws.

Another option which I recently used on my motor mounts is to use stainless threaded inserts. I have not done this on my rudder but can send additional information if you wish. Hunter engineers should be ashamed for not doing this in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.