Hunter 170 Mast Float...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 8, 2009
Hunter 170 Lake Sammamish WA
I was "tooling" around the "net" and found the following link. For $110, it seems like a good deal to prevent a "turtle". I'm thinking of getting one for next season as my boat is now in the water on a mooring. If I do get one, I may pull the boat to install it for this season.

I was looking around for one of these earlier in the year and couldn't find one.

http://www.shopsoundboatworks.com/mastfloat3.html

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
mast float

I have one on the top of my mast - I don't think I paid nearly that much for it, but it was a long time ago.

There are suggestions for foaming and sealing the mast on this forum. I made a half hearted attempt to do that a few years ago and gave up. I think it would look better than the mast float and would allow you to put a wind vane up top.

John

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
but by the way - it was very easy to install and works perfectly.

john

Oct 8, 2009
Hunter 170 Lake Sammamish WA
it was very easy to install and works perfectly.
Do you remember if it screws into the present mast cap or does it come with it's own mast cap?

I don't care about "losing" the wind vane spot, but I don't really like the look of the float on my mast either. I did foam the top of my mast before launching this year. When it gets warmer, I may do a test knock down to see if my floatation works. If it doesn't, I'm putting one of these "puppies" up.

Feb 26, 2010
Hunter 15 Fremantle, Western Australia
Hi Bluerunner,
One of these floats came with my H15 but I haven't installed it. Instead I followed the advice re foaming your mast on this forum (there are a number of good comments/advice and an illustrated step by step guide in the H146 knowledge section) as I wanted and have installed a wind vane. Particularly getting to know a new boat I wanted the feedback re pointing ability and find the windex provides the info I want easily.
Haven't tried the 'knockdown test' yet as it is winter here and I hate cold water.

Status
Not open for further replies.