Hunter 146 engine options

Jul 6, 2022
Hunter 146 Great Pond, Rome ME
Hi, I'm looking at engine options for my Hunter 146 (2005 model). I'm not sure about the proper shaft length, nor the proper length of the tiller arm. I'd prefer electric, and am thinking about the Torqeedo Travel 603 (Electric Outboard with direct drive - Travel 603 - Torqeedo). It's 2 HP, and comes in regular and "short shaft" versions. Not sure which is best for my 146. I'm also concerned about the distance from the engine mount to my normal seating position, and whether the tiller will be long enough. Anyone have any advice on the specs I should be looking for? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019
Catalina 30 TR 3571 Cocoa, FL
I've got a Hunter 18 that I use a short shaft Suzuki 2HP on. Plenty of shaft length and plenty of HP. Looking at pics of the 146, it looks like the motor mount is about the same height off the water as the 18. I'd get the short shaft, save the weight hanging on your stern and your back. Not sure about your tiller arm concern. I have no issues on the 18 but I see you've got a false transom to get around whereas mine is full walkout. Suspect the motor is either spin 180 for reverse or there's way to reverse motor spin back on the main control panel, either way I don't see how a longer motor tiller would help with close in maneuvers. Once away from the dock, just lock the housing forward (assuming it has a rotation friction lock) and use the boat's rudder.

Jul 6, 2022
Hunter 146 Great Pond, Rome ME
Thanks Curtis. It's precisely the false transom that concerns me on the 146. I just want to make sure the engine's tiller is long enough that I can maneuver it easily from inside the cockpit.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Not sure but is there a 2 or 2 1/2 hp motor with forward and reverse but I recall there is to be. Look at Honda outboards