Humming / vibration noise the boom

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lauren

I have a 2000 340. There is a humming noise in the boom. It is caused by the wind vibrating something. Now it's not a major thing, but it sure can be nerve racking. I can feel a vibration in the Topping Lift line. Has anyone else had a similar noise and if so how did you deal with it?

P

PATTY CHERONE

VIBRATION

YOU ARE RIGHT...THAT IS THE CAUSE. TRY LOOSENING THE TOPPING LIFT. IT SHOULD HELP.

J

Julian Sandford

Hum

I use a piece of shockcord from the topping lift to the arch which cures it. Slackening the lift just causes more noisefrom the mainsheet rattling.

C

Carl and Juliana Dupre

It's the Topping Lift!

Hi, Lauren. We have the same thing, and it is definitely the topping lift. Easing the topping lift won't change anything unless you ease it to the point that the arch is supporting the boom; it is the weight of the boom that is tensioning the topping lift and making it just like a guitar string. The wind sets that "guitar string" vibrating, and it feeds the vibration into the boom where it sets off all the sheaves in the boom, and you get a real chorus going. Until now we have just lived with it; it hasn't annoyed us that much, and we had not come up with a solution. The shock cord to the arch trick mentioned in an earlier post may work; we may well try that ourselves. The ultimate solution is a solid vang to support the boom. BTW, there are a LOT of H340's around Narragansett Bay. Another one just moved into Dutch Harbor along with us, and we have seen another one anchoring out near Dutch Island the last two weekends. We have also seen two 336's (same basic boat, earlier year) sailing around. We need to get together and have an H340 party! Carl and Jule H340 s/v 'Syzygy'

Status
Not open for further replies.