Hull ID Number

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paul

Just got our Catalina 36MKII, 2001 model. We documented it, and are wondering if anyone has suggestions as to where to put the official Coastguard hull number. Since it must be an unremovable mark, painted numbers wont work. I thought about putting it on the inside of the hull in the lazarette. Can't think of anywhere in the boat that I want to scratch up. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Paul

B

BILL SHAKUN

CG PLATE

CG rules as per Miami, numbers must be visible, not hidden from sight.

R

Rodney Kidd

Must be Visible

Paul, Bill is right. The Coast Guard requires that the numbers be visible. Here is a quote from the US Coast Guard Web Site (http://www.uscg.mil/welcome.html). Click on "FAQS", then "VESSEL DOCUMENTATION", and then "Frequently Asked Questions". Finally, click on "How do I mark my vessel" "The official number assigned to documented vessels, preceded of the abbreviation "NO." must be marked in block-type Arabic numerals at least three inches high on some clearly visible interior structural part of the hull. The number must be permanently affixed so that alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious and cause some scarring or damage to the surrounding hull area. The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull. The vessel name of a commercial vessel must also be marked on the port and starboard bow and the vessel name and the hailing port must also be marked on the stern. All markings may be made by any means and materials that result in durable markings and must be at least four inches in height, made in clearly legible letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals. The "hailing port" must include both a place in the United States. The state may be abbreviated." I'm trying to find the name of a company that made a carved teak number board for my boat. I'll post the company name when I find the company info. Flying Bear's numbers are screwed and epoxied onto the forward bulkhead in the V-berth right above the louvered doors. Rodney Kidd C-38 #297, Flying Bear KJ6QI

J

JIM ROSE

CG DOC. NUMBER

I glassed mine in the port side lazarette, against the hull using the 3" numbers from West Marine. Nice and easy and looks neat.

J

Jon W

Define clearly visible

I really don't know the answer, but I took the easy interpretation. I went with the stick on numbers, glassed over, on the interior surface of the hull, in the large cockpit locker of my C310. It is clearly visible if you raise the locker lid. Is this any less visible than having to open the companionway to go below? I don't believe the Coast Guard rule says it has to be clearly visible "from the cabin" or "from below" which seems to leave it kind of open. This was just my personal thinking. Use at your own risk :)

L

L Youngman

ID numbers in lazarette

Lazarette is good place. Use stick on letters, then coat with clear epoxy resin.

S

Shadefish

Stick on letters??

I don't think that stick on letters, even coated with epoxy meets the requirement: "The number must be permanently affixed so that alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious and cause some scarring or damage to the surrounding hull area." They haven't changed the wording since I was a CG Boarding Officer (8 years ago.) Unless they have change how the wording is enforced, I would consider that a violation. Epoxy resin is too easily removed w/o noticable damage and I remember that it was specifically pointed out in our training that that was something to look for. As to putting it in the lazerrette, I always saw it in the cabin or at least a living or working space on larger ships. I don't remember what the specific guidance was...

J

Jon W

Mr Shadefish...

I appreciate your experienced opinion as a past Coast Guard boarding Officer. I am a little confused about your statement that epoxy resin is easily removable without noticeable damage. I thought it would have to be sanded off, and then the area painted or re-coated. Or maybe just thickly paint over the entire area? I'm not sure what other numbering method would be better if a person is willing to go to these types of measure to remove numbering? Even deep engraving could be filled, sanded, and painted. I also wonder how much room for interpretation there is for the authorities in different locations. What do you think?

S

Shadefish

Jon W.

Jon, You bring up some good points. I need to do more research because I will have the same problem in a few months. Even though I was a B.O. things could have changed and my memory could be clouded (likely.) As I recall, the reasoning was that resin over stick ons was much more easily cleaned up than engraved numbers. That was ten years ago, so maybe that thought process has changed. About your question re: regionality: Not really, the Guard is federal agency with centralized policy development for issues like that. Nationwide training is done at one or two places and local training is conducted in accordance with standard procedures. Qualifications for personnel are also based on CG wide standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.