How's a 96 M26x different than newer ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gary

Found a 96' Mac 26x and was wondering what the major differences were between the later models....if any. Apparently, the location of the ballast vent and level check hole changed. I saw a 2002 and there was a simple ladder at the companionway. I'm sort of new to sailing, so any honest advise would be appreciated. Also, one of the windows are scratched a little. Does someone sell replacements? Who's some reasonable vendors for parts? Thanks

D

dan

Early Mac 26X's

Hi Gary........ I currently have a 98' Here are some differances on the 96'to the NEW 1.Drum and wire steering - rack and pinion 2.Rudder mount cast alluminum - stainless steel 3.Ballast fill vent in Vberth - under cabin step The rack and pinion steering is a modification MUST for better piloting. Price it out BEFORE you buy. The SS rudder brackets are stronger. The ballast actually vents and fills better with access at the TOP of the tank! The early 26C(centerboard) or 26D(daggerboard) are superior at SAILING if that's what you want. Shop around, talk to the shops and look at them IN THE WATER! The speed claims for the 26X are misleading. To be SAFE you will have the ballast IN in ALL conditions. This turns the boat in to a quasi-displacement hull which needs only a 10hp kicker like the 26C. The 50hp ski boat/sailboat is all sales BS! If you REALLY want to SAIL, look at the older Catalina's with FIXED KEEL. Trailering your boat in ONCE and out ONCE a year is about as much FUN as I can TAKE! happy shopping.........dan

F

Flip

Come on

I trailer mine for day trips. It is so easy to set up. Can a 10 horse kicker get you up to 15 knots with full ballast. If it is rough, fill the ballast. If not you are perfectly safe. Unless you are a moron who overloads the boat. You can get new windows at Havencraft. I have a 96. Missing a few new features, but a great boat. Try taking that old Catalina to Florida and Lake Ontario in the same year.

B

billy w

come on #2

i don't know about any change in hull design or performance other than maybe in steering. I've had a 2000 26x for about a year. My fist Mac. I leave it on the trailer and trailer it to several lakes around the Dallas area -- Texoma, Lewisville, Richland Chambers, Whitney, and on and on. Boat is easy to launch and a snap to set up. I have a 50 hp motor. If conditions are reasonable (common sense) I motor with the ballast tank empty and with mast up or down. Mac cruises along at 20+ and handles exceptionally well. I am heading to the gulf in a couple of weeks to cruise between Galvestion and Padre Island. Gulf cruising is the main reason I bought the boat and put a 50 on it. I am a seasoned sailor of 30+ years. I've had numerous boats. I am quite happy with my Mac so far because I made a reasoned decision to buy it for the type sailing and cruising I now want to do. After Galveston I am trailering to the Alabama gulf coast. Sailing is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.