How would a 29 morgan be for a live aboard

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
Its listed as a 29 but I believe its a 28.5 or something like that. Is anyone on here a live aboard on one. or have any experience with a 29 Morgan. It will just be me and a friend every once and a wile. here is a pic.

Attachments

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
Yes. I thought all live aboard life was like camping. I mean unless you have mega bucks and can afford a 40 footer or bigger.

Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
hello

yes... a 29 footer can be a liveaboard... I have a friend who lives on his 27 footer... I have a 35 foot morgan, and my wife and I plan to live on our boat...

it is much more cheaper than having a house or apartment.... and when you travel you take your home and all your belongings with you....

sincerely
Jess

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
I would think it should work fine. I have a Catalina 250 and my wife and I stay on it for 2 to 3 weeks at a time. If it were just me I would have no problem living on it full time. Of course I am an ol' soldier/sailor and have slept in some tight quarters in my time. It needs a reefer, solar, big battery bank, head, galley, comfortable mattress, TV, radio and you can tell we do not rough it much while on the boat! These creature comforts are critical for long term live aboard happiness and comfort. Happy Holidays! Chief

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Yes. I thought all live aboard life was like camping. I mean unless you have mega bucks and can afford a 40 footer or bigger.
It IS like camping, a camping trip than never ends. Think about that part. If you still have a house (and stuff) that you can home to, no experience or amount of time on a boat converts into relevant data about selling everything you own that does not fit on the boat and living aboard.

Everyone I know that has done this, including very good friends, say the experience is nothing what they expected. Some says it's better. Some say worse. Be prepared for that.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I know someone who lived on a Ranger 26 - for a couple of seasons. They live in a house now.
The problem, for me, with living in a small space is that it takes a lot of discipline to keep it from being cluttered. If it does become unduly cluttered I will spend a lot of time looking for everything. For me this would lead to frustration and annoyance. Especially if I have to move things around because there isn't enough easily accessible storage.

Jan 6, 2010
Jl,

I liked what Jackdaw & Shemander said. So for the sake of taking a neutral standpoint, here are some of my thoughts.

I used to use my girlfriend's father's boat back in the day. For the length, he lived aboard for 12 years. Yea it's doable to live on but, he was an old salt & used to living a Spartan-like life. He eventually moved up to a 44 footer for better live aboard space. He said he hated the clutter.

So, let's get to your question, what type of living are you used to, a 1 or 2 bedroom? Space is at a premium for live-a-boards. If you have alot of clothes, electronics, & misc. things you are used to surround yourself, I assure you this will become a culture shock. Smaller sailboats as in the 30 ft. range are cramped to begin with, ya can't move your house or apartment into the boat, as It will NOT fit.

So, you need to make the decision,. Will I be happy giving up most of my worldly possessions to live aboard? If you can answer yes to this, maybe living aboard is not a bad choice, then again. Just remember to look at it objectively first, to get the best answer in your choices.

Living on the hook presents its own inherent problems. If at a dock, life is easier. One thing I have seen over the years are, that many move to living aboard do less sailing.

It's only my thoughts but, it's your call pal. Just make sure you think it thru wisely.

CR

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2014
Oday 272 Ventura
I lived on a Newport 27 for a year in San Diego and quite frankly it was the best year of my life. Sailed almost every day in the Coronado Bay. Of course I was single and life was a blast. I have had several boats since then and I am married now. We spend time every weekend now on a ODAY 272 and plenty of room. You will need to scale down on what you have and get a storage unit. I find that most people that live on their boats don't really sail them. That is my experience at the marinas I have been to. I love sailing too much to ever let that happen. Just remember every one is different when it comes to space that they need. Good luck in your decision whatever you do. The Morgan OI 28 should provide ample space for a single person.

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
Im actually getting rid of my junk now. Im finding even the thought of getting rid of my junk liberating . just started selling stuff on ebay and crags list. less stuff to worry about and less project that need to be finished now.

Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
hello all

my wife and I have been going through the house and deciding what we cannot live without, what to sell, what to give to friends and relatives, and what to donate to charity.... my goal is to get transferred to florida in 2015.... I have a 35ft morgan sailboat and we plan to move onto to it perminantly.... then I will save and we plan to buy a sailboat in the 40+ ft range as soon as possible.... our boys are off to college and it is just us at home now....

my wife is Chinese, and her city is on the tropic of cancer, so she doesn't see cold weather there... here in Indiana it is just tooooooooo cold for her.... I have a breathing problem from my days in the military (disabled Vet) and the winter hurts my breathing a lot... so we are looking to move to a warm climate to live .... hence Florida...

this will be a good move for us both.... she likes the idea of living on the boat... as she says, we can go anyplace on the water and take our home with us...

sincerely
Jess