How to unfreeze a diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazzer

Feb 4, 2009
2 Newport 30 Benica
Are you sure your battery connections are good? To hear the starter clicking and not turning is symptomatic of a bad connection or a bad battery. Try starting with the battery switch to both and the decompression levers open. Also you should be able to turn the motor with the flywheel or starter handle with the decompression levers up. If you can't you have a seized engine and rebuilding is in order.

Jan 14, 2011
tanzer tanzer 28 bathurst nb
StArt by emptying yhe water from the bilge. Then decompression lever and hand crank it a few turn, then try the starter and check ground and conection battery level there is most likely no mechanical issue with it, a good oil change after it start for both yhe engine and transmision.

Mar 31, 2012
Nord Cantieri 38 St Marys
Here is an Update

I have determined that there was no water in the oil. Or at least from THIS flooding. The engine had been flooded by rain water back in Feburary. It was pickled and then saved by a mobile diesel service who showed up:

1. Drained water and oil
2. Put fresh filter and Rotella in
3. Discovered water intrusion in the injection pump so that got rebuilt
4. Rebuilt the fuel pump

This got her running again. I had advised them to make sure she was going to keep running by operating the engine for at least an hour. They did so.

I then moved the vessel to a new repair facility for other work. That ran the motor for about an hour and a half. She ran flawlessly. This was on April 2.

I now find out that the mobile diesel service should have or advised me to change the oil several times to clear out any remaining moisture. They never did.

I am now worried that I may have to rebuild or replace.

Mar 31, 2012
Nord Cantieri 38 St Marys
And this is what I have done since our last post

I started out by trying to remove both injectors. I could only get cyl 1 injector off at first. And then started filling the cylinder with PB Blaster. I then tryed getting what I could into the No 2 cylinder via the intake manifold and the valves. But I could not get much in. I let it sit for a week and then came back with a long handle torque wrench. No luck. Still frozen.

So I continued with more PB Blaster and now WD40 in both cylinders. Left it for a week and came back on Saturday. Still no luck. Could not budge it.

The marina loaned me a mega pry bar. With that I was able to pry out the second injector.

This time I filled both cylinders with Magic Marvel Oil. I noted that Cylinder 1 was draining down fast and Cylinder 2 was staying full. I then added another 3 and a half gallons of MMO to the crank case. It was up to the oil drain relief vent anyway.

I made a few well leveraged attempts with that pry bar wedged in the fly wheel. No dice.

So I am going to give it a few days to see if the MMO does its magic. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

Does anyone have any additional thoughts?

Thanks,
SM

Status
Not open for further replies.