How To Tame My Trailing Rudder

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Miller

I'm new to sailing and am getting comfortable with my Mac 26S but I've noticed that the rudder occasionally angles up and trails behind rather than hold to vertical line. There is a wire with a loop at the end, which comes up through the tiller shaft, that I can pull on (it is difficult to pull up) to straighten out the rudder. I’m obviously not doing something correctly. How should I secure this wire and keep the rudder vertical? I’ve been using a bungie cord connected to the aft railing with only partial success. Thanks for your help

F

Fred C. Johnson

Tameing the rudder

The cable is suposed to be tied to a line that you secure to the cleat on the tiller. I have read that you should be able to undo the cleat quickly if the rudder hits bottom. I have secured this too tightly and the cable broke, causing the rudder to trail. I read that this can put an undo amount of strain on the rudder assymbly and could brake it. If it is to shollow to have the rudder down all the way, they say to lower your motor or us an ore to stear the boat. Good Sailing

J

Jerry

Don't feel too bad . . .

I didn't understand that you are supposed to figure eight the rope, attached to the rudder cable, around the cleat on the tiller, for a while. Finally, this old sailing salt in the slip next to me said, "Hey!, you'll steer better if you. . . ."

S

Skip Nelson

Rudder hold down

Put a 3/16 line on the cable and tie it to a cleat on the tiller.

Status
Not open for further replies.