How to run reefing lines thru the boom....

Jun 4, 2024
Hunter Legend 35.5 Charleston SC
Our new Hunter 35.5 has the single line reefing. The first reef line was removed at some point, and no messenger line was left. I see in the knowledge base how it is supposed to run, but what is the procedure for getting the lines thru the boom? Do I have to take off the end of the boom to fish lines thru? I'm hoping there is an easier way.....

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
If your boom is a Z-spar then the end cap is held in place with rivets. It is not hard to drill them out, run your lines, and then pop in new rivets.

Without a messenger, the quickest way is to pull the end cap.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
I realize that you did not ask this....
But, That is a very large boat for that type of reefing system, so perhaps this situation might also be the Universe trying to whisper to you to change to conventional slab reefing. :frown:

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Our new Hunter 35.5 has the single line reefing. The first reef line was removed at some point, and no messenger line was left. I see in the knowledge base how it is supposed to run, but what is the procedure for getting the lines thru the boom? Do I have to take off the end of the boom to fish lines thru? I'm hoping there is an easier way.....
Get an electrician's fish tape that is longer than your mast. You won't need that length for the boom, but sooner or later you'll need it for the mast.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Yes. The aft end cap will have to be removed for single line reefing line.
After removing the endcap, tie a large nut to a string and feed from mast end where the line should enter the boom, loosen the topping line as much as possible so that the boom aft end drops down as much as possible. Then shake and hit the boom lightly with mallet so that the nut slides down the boom and exits the aft end. Now you have a messenger line to finish the job.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2024
Hunter Legend 35.5 Charleston SC
I realize that you did not ask this....
But, That is a very large boat for that type of reefing system, so perhaps this situation might also be the Universe trying to whisper to you to change to conventional slab reefing. :frown:
I'm probably using the wrong term... It is slab reefing already. Its actually two lines joined by a balance block inside the boom....

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It is slab reefing already. It's actually two lines joined by a balance block inside the boom....
I have seen such a system used for an outhaul, but I have not seen it used for reefing. Generally, slab reefing does not require that much force to secure the sail. You lower the sail, remove the pressure, and make the reefing lines taut; some rigs place the tack cringle on a reefing hook. Once the sail is secured, you raise the sail, making the luff taut.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Get an electrician's fish tape that is longer than your mast. You won't need that length for the boom, but sooner or later you'll need it for the mast.
I used fiberglass Fish Sticks. They come in a kit with several 6' sections and a 2' and 4' section. They are very handy for running wire and lines in a boom and mast.

Jan 11, 2014
I'm probably using the wrong term... It is slab reefing already. Its actually two lines joined by a balance block inside the boom....
That is the outhaul, used to tension the foot of the sail. The blocks are cascaded so there are 2 sets of blocks and lines. The attached link to Harken shows examples.

You will have to find the attachment point for the cascade inside the boom and release it. Assemble the outhaul outside of the boom and then pull it into the boom. Sorry I can't give more detail as I'm not familiar with your particular boat. Remove the end cap and with a good flashlight you may be able to see it. If you have any boom bails for attaching the mainsheet or vang, these would be likely anchor points.

drawing cascading blocks outhaul sailboat

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
YES! There is an easy trick. Get a couple small supermagnets. They work through aluminum. Tie a thread to one and feed it in one opening. Don't get close to anything magnetic (316 stainless is not magnetic, other SS may be). You can put it on the end of a stick to poke it in. Put the other magnet on the outside of the boom and then slide it up. When you get near the opening, snag the thread with a hook like a bit of wire. Remove the outside magnet and you can pull the thread and magnet out. No disassembly required.

Last edited:

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
That's probably your outhaul as others have said. There is another trick for that. The block is probably held by a bolt through the boom. After you remove the nut but before you remove the bolt, attach a thin messenger to the end of the bolt. Dental floss works well, it is strong and you can tie it on the threads and it will still fit through the hole. Remove the bolt, attach a long stronger messenger to the floss and pull it through. Tie it off and now you can pull out the block along with the messenger. To reassemble you reverse the process using the messenger to pull the block into position and the dental floss to make sure it stays in place while you put in the bolt. Saves a lot of frustration trying to position the block and inserting the bolt.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Don't get close to anything magnetic (316 stainless is not magnetic, other SS may be).
This is not correct. 316 can be quite magnetic. I actually just had someone consult me on some 316 that was just purchased asking if the supply company had made a mistake because the material supplied was quite magnetic. Reviewing that material showed indeed it was 316L. The magnet test is not reliable.

dj

Jan 11, 2014
Do I have to take off the end of the boom to fish lines thru? I'm hoping there is an easier way.....
You could try fishing lines through the reef points and around the sheaves, but then there is the block in the middle of the run. The easiest method would be to forego the single line reefing and use the line for reef clew. This means someone would have to go to the mast and hook the reef cringle to the hook.

BrianQ

Jan 10, 2024
Hunter Legend 37.5 Havelock
You don't need to remove either end cap but it is much easier if you remove the front and rear sheave cluster. Lift the front one up and the rear one aft. Sometimes they are stuck from years of neglect so you may need to use some lubricating spray and pry a little. Once removed it's a good time to clean the sheaves and shaft. The two shuttle blocks can be removed at the aft end of the boom. As mentioned above use a fish tape to run messenger lines to pull the reefing lines through when you're ready.

• Helpful

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
This is not correct. 316 can be quite magnetic. I actually just had someone consult me on some 316 that was just purchased asking if the supply company had made a mistake because the material supplied was quite magnetic. Reviewing that material showed indeed it was 316L. The magnet test is not reliable.

dj
OK, but that really wasn't the point. The magnet trick makes fishing a messenger easy, but you have to avoid getting caught up on magnetic things, whatever you label them. I've done it lots of times (and we all did it as kids).

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
OK, but that really wasn't the point. The magnet trick makes fishing a messenger easy, but you have to avoid getting caught up on magnetic things, whatever you label them. I've done it lots of times (and we all did it as kids).
I agree, and using a magnet is a good way to do this.

I only quoted the single line - Given it's a fairly extended misconception, I was simply pointing that out.

dj