How to rig the centerboard on an O'day Javelin

Aug 7, 2014
Oday Javelin Lake Winola

I bought a Javelin yesterday. It's a 1973 but is like brand new as it's been in storage since 1975. Everything seems complete but I can't understand how to rig the centerboard hoist. Coming out of the top of the trunk is a wire with a small pulley. It seems there should be another pulley and cleat somewhere. I attached photos which should help. There is no second rope or pulley, the weight must lower it. The pulley is so small I suspect it must require a wire.
20160313_113402(1).jpg
20160313_183122.jpg
20160313_183122.jpg

Background, I've owned a fixed keep Javelin for over 20 years but years of dock rash and kids have taken a toll on the old girl. I love it for the small lake sailing I do because I can hop in and go. With the fixed keel there is lots of cockpit room and won't tip. I had been looking for a replacement for years and found this yellow beauty. I'll be selling my fixed keel model and trailer very cheap (300?). If interested contact me.

Attachments

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
javelin cb.jpg
Here is a basic picture of the correct rigging as shown in the rigging sheet that I have, It doesn't quite match what appears to be on your boat, but I have modified the drawing to come closer to your picture. It appears that you are missing one block that should be attached to the eye-strap to starboard.

Attachments

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2014
Oday Javelin Lake Winola
Thank You, that makes sense. It looks like mine only had a single pulley on the end of the centerboard wire but I like the 3 pulley system and will try to modify it. It appears to have already pulled out the screws on the front clip so adding two pulleys there will lesson the load.