How to rig a 17 daysailer--Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 17, 2011
O day 17 foot daysailer Soddy Daisy, TN
I was given a 17 foot oday(1978 I think), it had been sitting in a yard for about 10 years, I have cleaned it up pretty well and I am ready to hit the water, but I have idea how the rigging is configured on the boat, I have some of it down, but I am having problems with the boom and the lines that come from the main sheet and the jib, do I run thru the pull system at the base of the mast? please help, I am trying to instill my love for the water and sailing in my children and trying not to look like a big dummy. We have never been able to affor one. Any manuls or phots or WEB sites I can go to would be a great help. I am going to take it down to the river and see if I can get some help also. God bless and thanks.:D

toddco

Jun 17, 2011
ODay 20 driveway
You should have one line to raise the main sail that would cleat off to the side of the mast. Another to raise the jib sail. These are your halyards. Your jib will have two lines that layout on each side of the boat. These lines will pass through blocks and go back to the two winches and then to the next set of cleats or cam locks. You will have one line taught at a time depending on which side the wind is filling your jib sail. Your main sail will have a line that runs from the end of the boom to a set of blocks that attach to either a travelling slide, a chain plate ( looks like a U bolt) or into a triangle plate attached to the backstay cable. The backstay is the cable that attaches to the top of the mast and runs back to the stern. The pull system at the base of the mast is probably a boom vang. This is used to keep the mast from lifting when the sail fills with wind. If you can post a few pictures, I'm sure there are alot more people that can help/

Jul 17, 2011
O day 17 foot daysailer Soddy Daisy, TN
Thnaks, that will get me started, I will post some pictures later.
Thnaks again

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
If it would help (and I bet it would!) I have created an expanded version of the original O'DAY Rigging sheet for the DS II. Now in booklet form, it includes more diagrams, memos from O'DAY, advice gained in 16 years of DS II ownership, and info from D&R Marine. Also included are scanned copies of various Day Sailer sales brochures (including 1978).

Click on my screen name (SUNBIRD22358) to send a direct e-mail to order.

PS: pictures (and/or the Hull ID Number) will identify the year and make advice easier to offer (rigging changed several times during the 1971-85 production run of the DS II.)

Status
Not open for further replies.