How to replace 9.2 water heater?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 29, 2010
S2 9.2A MI
my water heater, probably original, on '83 9.2A is inoperative, leaking, and rusted out. How do you remove a water heater that is 14" in diameter through the 11" coclkpit opening? And then how to put a new one in? Did S2 mount before engine placement? You help is needed!!

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
take a look at the quarter birth and see if there is room to get it around there and if so take out the rear bulkhead in the quarter birth and remove it and install the new one ....i am not sure that this will work as i have not checked my boat at this point because i have my engine out and will go through there with the new one ...

regards

woody

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Ouch. Sounds like you have run into one of the joys of owning a 30 foot boat! It is not uncommon for manufacturer's to install such things before they put the deck on. Pulling the engine is one option. A sawzall is another...but I don't know how you will get the new one in! Fortunately the 9.2A is a pretty easy boat to pull the engine from if you decide to go that route.

Jan 22, 2008
S-2 9.2 A Chicago IL
I own a 9.2a Hull # 433, the water heater is removable, Woodster is correct. Remove the siide fill piece/shelf, than the table holder if you have one , than the screws that are at the bottom of the buldhead. The upper port side affords a hand hold to pivit the balkhead away from the hull. This ia also a good time to maintain the bilge pump.

In 1988 I almost replaced the water heater only to find the plastiic plug for the optional heat exchanger was leaking. The fix was to replace the plug with a standard brass clean out plug.

This season fix is to reanchor the water heater with new angle braces.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
I can't picture this for some reason. You two are saying that the bulkhead at the aft end of the quarter berth should come out easily? It probably isn't structural and that is a good tip to know. I have to run some plumbing back there to my wash deck shower soon.

Jan 17, 2010
S2 9.2A Wickford, RI
Correct. I have a new water heater on our 9.2A and the aft bulkhead of the quarter removes. I should fit easily through there.

RussB

Nov 3, 2007
S2 9.2A Bay City MI
I have no hot water heater, but I had to rebuild the manual bilge pump and ended up removing the panel at the back of the quarter berth. With it out I can crawl all around back there. Prior to that I thought I would need to drop 50 lbs to fit through the cockpit locker opening.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
I have no hot water heater, but I had to rebuild the manual bilge pump and ended up removing the panel at the back of the quarter berth. With it out I can crawl all around back there. Prior to that I thought I would need to drop 50 lbs to fit through the cockpit locker opening.
its a shame that the locker opening is so small because there is lots of room down there for lots of things .....water heater ....larger fuel tank...airconditionong unit......refer unit....and a larger engine as well ....oh almost for got room for a emergency life raft fully packed....and extra battries .....when i get through with this refit i will know a lot abuot this boat...i am not very good at documentation via written word or photos as i dont grab my camera as much as i should ...i will try to take some pics from time to time and share them with everyone ....

regards
woody

Mar 29, 2010
S2 9.2A MI
I removed the bulkhead but there is less than 12" of clearance and not enough to remove or install a new water heater. apparently the only solution is to buy a specialty heater that is rectagular at about $800

Correct. I have a new water heater on our 9.2A and the aft bulkhead of the quarter removes. I should fit easily through there.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
i just bought an isotemp last week off e bay brand new in the box called a budget model.......but when i opened up the box there was and isotemp decal on the tank ...the only diff i can see is the outer jacket is not ss but is coated ......the rest of the tank is ss and all the valves are there ....they had 6 more when i bought this one ...dont know if they have any now or not ... i feel like i got a good deal only paid about 25 cents on the dollar for it it is an 8 gallon one .......

regards

woody

Mar 29, 2010
S2 9.2A MI
Yes - the quarter berth works!!

So correct!! I removed the old Raritan through the quarter berth (14" dia) and install a 6 gallon Seaward (13" W). The cockpit opening is only 11" wide. However, the original (I believe) Raritan was electric only and now I have one with a heat exchanger. I cannot believe that S2 put a shorepower-only water heater in this model in 1983. Now I will need to learn how to connect to the Yanmar cooling system for the neat exchanger.

I own a 9.2a Hull # 433, the water heater is removable, Woodster is correct. Remove the siide fill piece/shelf, than the table holder if you have one , than the screws that are at the bottom of the buldhead. The upper port side affords a hand hold to pivit the balkhead away from the hull. This ia also a good time to maintain the bilge pump.

In 1988 I almost replaced the water heater only to find the plastiic plug for the optional heat exchanger was leaking. The fix was to replace the plug with a standard brass clean out plug.

This season fix is to reanchor the water heater with new angle braces.

Status
Not open for further replies.