How to Remove Woodwork above Engine on H340

Mar 17, 2020
Hunter 340 Somewhere wet
I'm doing an engine swapout on a 1998 H340. Can anyone give me any advice on how to take apart the woodwork above the engine (top step, cubby hole above the top step, cubby hole below the top step in the aft cabin, etc., etc., etc.) Screws are hidden, its not clear what attaches to what, and even after I get the screws out it looks like parts will be stuck behind other major pieces of interior furniture.

Any suggestions?

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Screws are hidden, its not clear what attaches to what, and even after I get the screws out it looks like parts will be stuck behind other major pieces of interior furniture.
Any suggestions?
Look closely at each wood panel for wooden plugs (bungs) which hold the panel to a frame or reinforcing wood strips behind the panels. These may be only visible in bright light (tactical flashlight style works well), as they are designed to blend in with the surrounding wood grain and color.
Those are removed by drilling a small pilot hole in each and screwing (by hand) a drywall screw into the pilot hole. The bung should pop out before you hit the underlining screw head.
Think through the removal process carefully as some panels should come off first or second or third...
Also, decide if it's best to remove the bottom screws first to see if an entire assembly can be removed
in one piece.
And sometimes parts will be screwed together from the inside. Remember, the cabinetry was built
outside the boat and installed into the hull before the deck was installed.

Mar 17, 2020
Hunter 340 Somewhere wet
Thanks for the good general advice. I got things apart & the new engine is in & running.

Surprisingly enough, there weren't any bungs. I did have to do a little destructive removal on a couple of pieces. These pieces had screws thru driven from the head thru the bulkhead into the wood pieces above the engine. After the screws were driven the plastic interior walls for the head were installed. The plastic walls are similar to a household shower enclosure, and would have been a PITA to remove to get access to remove these three screws. I figured out a way to remove the screws in such a way that when I repair the damaged wood with some marinetex it won't be visible.

Thanks for the advice.