How to remove non-skid paint?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2005
Hunter 25_73-83 St. Clair Shores
Attached in a photo you will see the aweful gray non-skid paint that is peeling and faded in all spots. I know I have to bite the bullet and repaint the topside. What is the best way to remove this stuff? I tried lightly using a scraper and it worked poorly. I am assuming I just start sanding it off, that way I am prepping the surface to repair too. What is the most abrasive paper I can start with? Any recommendations for a good topside paint? As always - THANKS!!!

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Original is not paint.

The original is not paint. It is paintable rollable gel coat. You can do it again with gel coat and it will last for another 25 years.

J

Jim Willis

Gelcoat is thick--paint is thin and can peel

Steve- Although I do not know what an original of this boat was made like - it sure looks like paint to me. Gelcoat non-skid is usually pretty thick and should not peel like this. Let us hope that this is a cheapo SINGLE PART paint. If so, it can be dissolved off. Now the problem is that most paint removers will also attack the gelcoat (as with acetone). The only thing I know of that will remove the paint without damage to the gelcoat is (I know !) IG Pink or any IG Neutral clear or Sea glow. IG pink is slower but more gentle. You could also (I have heard) use oven cleaner but this can often yellow the gelcoat since it contains caustic. The reason that the paint is peeling (or one of the reasons) is that there was probably some wax underneath at some time. Also paint (even good paint does not stick well to older gelcoat without lots of prepping and wet sanding. If you repaint the non-skid, scuff well with those 3M pads and use pre sol or equicalent silicone/wax remover as sold at auto paint stores. Gelcoat Non skid can be redone as per the essay from the old gelcoat and plasics forum (now on the chandlery of this site). However this is for stippled pattern only. You can get a kit of what you need for Fiberglass Hawaii in Santa Cruz. You will need to use a power sander to take down the old deck to an even surface first Thanks Jim W

Jun 25, 2005
Hunter 25_73-83 St. Clair Shores
Thanks - FYI I do plan to repaint

I do plan to repaint the entire topside - so any aggressive approach will work since I am not too worried about the underlying gelcoat.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Gelcoat vs. paint

Steve and I have been debating this for what now, six years? He always advocates gelcoat and I like paint. But it comes down to cost. I have seen only a few decks redone with gelcoat. They were beautiful. But they were done by very expensive professionals with the right equipment, spray guns among others. For DIY you cannot beat paint. I used Toplac, Interlux's best one-part polyurethane, for the white. Actually I mixed some off-white and white to cut the sheen. My first attempt with non-skid was with Interlux Brightside and mixing my own Interlux grit. It has held up well but I plan to repaint with Interlux Interdeck, an already mixed non-skid. The picture is of a new color I tested on the anchor locker. Not sure I like it. I think that you mean the decks, the topsides are the sides of the boat. If you mean the decks then, unless the current non-skid is very loose, all that is required is good prep. Just sand agressively and anything that remains can be painted over. The final sanding of the non-skid can be #80 but the gelcoat should be sanded smooth. You might finish with #600 before you paint. The very best DIY finish without a spray gun takes two people. Then you can use a two-part polyurethane. But it sets up so fast that you need one to roll and one to follow with a good brush to "tip". It helps to cut the deck into small sections. When you paint the white(easy because no taping is required) put some 1" diagonals to split up the deck. I have one from the chain locker straight to the cabin trunk to separate the two halves of the boat. Then another at the shrouds. This way you don't have to paint continuously to keep a wet edge. And you definitely have to keep a wet edge. Post some pics when you are done.

S

scott wilson

I'm with Ed on Interlux Interdeck

I found a 4 inch roller worked well, with just a little brush work in the tight spaces

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Gelcoat is applied just like paint.

The gelcoat non-skid is applied just like any two part paint. The wax is in the gelcoat. You just add the coloring and the activator. They have a special roller that gives it a stippled effect. I am not against paint if you do not mind doing it every 2-5 years. Of course most of the boats in our marina never move or have anyone aboard, so the birds and the spiders get about 10 years out of those decks.<g>

B

Bruce

Gel or Paint?

I would agree with Ted about using paint vs Gelcoat. My V21 had peeling paint w/non-skid material over the gelcoat-built nonskid(see link below). I tried sanding, but was able to remove most of the peeling material using acetone. I started out with re-applying gelcoat on the topsides and was unhappy with the results(I'm usually pretty good at this sort of thing). I eventually tried the new fusion paint from krylon that worked perfectly in spray form. The portions painted blue that didn't come out well on the topsides photo were gelcoat, the rest was fusion spray paint. I guess I'll remedy that next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.