How to remove cured penetrating epoxy from the deck?

Oct 4, 2013
Catalina 310 - Hull#31 S/V "Harmony" Moss Landing, CA
Welp... another step in this wonderful learning process I'm going through.

I'm currently rebedding the chainplates and used penetrating epoxy from west marine to seal the wood core. Last night as I was leaving the boat, some of the epoxy leaked out of the trash bag I was carrying and dripped onto my deck unbeknownst to me.

The epoxy was allowed to cure overnight and now I have orangish stains on my deck that I'm afraid I won't be able to remove. Some of it is thick enough in places where I think I can use a heat gun and a razor blade to get it off. Some of it looks like a stain and like it has no edges. And still some of it got on the non skid.

The non skid is probably un-saveable. Are there any tips out there as to how to remove this stuff? Heat gun and razor blade/Sandpaper? The label on the epoxy says that the cured product can be removed with a paint stripper but I'm guessing that will just eat the gelcoat?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Jul 21, 2013
Searching for 1st sailing boat 27-28, 34-36 Channel Islands, Marina Del Rey
I too have some cured epoxy near where I rebedded some screw holes on my deck, a few on the non-skid. I scrubbed hard with a rag and acetone to clean some. Next step is to use an oral pick or similar sharp point that has a grinder tip to meticulously scrap it off. It will take time and elbow grease but can be removed.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
the thing about epoxy resin is, it has a much lower melting/softening point than polyester resin.
so when its cured, it can be removed if your careful providing its not on a painted surface, but then if it is on a painted surface, its a relatively easy to repair the paint after scraping the resin off....
removing it from gelcoat is a much easier process.

on a non skid surface its slightly more difficult due to the dimples, and there is only one way I have found to do it without using powertools and damage the pattern....

get a fine stainless steel brush from the welding store. there are the large coarse ones and the fine "mig" style brushes (both are handy but the small one should be standard equipment on your boat) and a heat gun.... make sure the brush is stainless steel...

heat the epoxy area and then use the brush on it... keep heating gently as you take a few strokes with the brush, once the temp is about right the gelcoat will erode away rather quickly....
sometimes you may notice a color forming in the gelcoat around the heated area, and this is normal...(it will go away as it cools down) the epoxy should be brushing out of the non skid nicely by this point.... you may need to change the scrubbing direction of the brush to get it all out, and maybe even a point of a knife to get the last divot or two cleared of the epoxy.

im sure you can damage gelcoat with excess heat, but the fine stainless steel brush wont hurt it... (the brush is also good for removing cured silicone sealer that has good adhesion), but if your careful with the heat and vigorous with the brush, you will have no problem getting it back to how it should be...

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2013
Catalina 310 - Hull#31 S/V "Harmony" Moss Landing, CA
Thanks so much for the advice guys! Good stuff. I have hope yet!