How to keep cabin doors open?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 26, 2007
- - Melbourne Australia
We have a 1999 Bavaria 34, 2 cabin yacht. To help keep air flowing through the boat we want to install a door latch for each of the 2 cabins and the head. Has anyone a suggestion on the best hardware or method to achieve this? I note that the head door meets the navigation table so that seems to make latching difficult. Similarly, the aft cabin door meets the stove. Ideas greatly received as we don't want a stuffy cabin! Matt and Tom.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
A nice little screen door hook and screw

eye should serve. You could forge the hook from bronze welding rod if you couldn't find just the right size and length. 3-5 mm rod is about the right size (1/8 -3/16 inch).

J

Jack Andre

I have a 2000 Bavaria 34. I have the same concerns about air circulating inside the boat. My aft cabin door is secured to the wood panel on the storage area under the stove with heavy duty hook-and-loop. It doesn't sound secure, but it is unobtrusive and has worked fine, even under way, since the boat was new. I secure the head door when I'm not aboard with a bungee cord between the head door handle and the storage cubby over the nav station seat. The forward v-berth door has a nice chrome hook and eye. The whole arrangement works fine.

P

Pat

Eyes and bungees

Hi, We keep our doors open all of the time unless the specific cabin is in use. We have simple screw in eyes in the doors and in the adjacent wood trim with a short bungee cord connecting to each eye. Holds them open but flexible and easy to remove as needed. Good luck with your new boat! Pat

B

Bill

Cabin door latching

Matt and Tom I also have a Bavaria 34 (3 cabin) which came with cabin latches on all the doors. They originally had rubber inserts in the latching ring (to stop rattling) but these have tended to fall out, but the latches otherwise work fine. The door near the nav table is held open with a latch under that table. That in the galley is positioned under the oven. Hope this helps. Regards Bill

Jun 7, 2004
Bavaria 36 Rock Hall, MD, USA
Latches used on Bavaria 32

One of our members has installed stainless steel latches - just like the classic door stop but with a latching mechanism - on her Bavaria 32. Works very well. Send me your e-mail & I'll send you pix.

M

matt

bavaria door latch

photos of the latch would be great. please send to: matthealy@iinet.net.au

Status
Not open for further replies.