How to get on/off the boat

Feb 3, 2014
Hunter 44 aft cockpit Miami, FL
We have great kayaks and we have a great sailboat (44' sloop). Our issue is how to get the Yaks on and off of the boat to enjoy them. Do we need to rig harnesses and use a halyard?

Feb 1, 2016
Long Beach, CA
Question: Best way to launch and retrieve kayaks from the deck of a boat.
Another great question that we all have struggled with. Answer depends on where and how you store your kayaks on board. I use rail racks. Here's how I launch my kayaks. If you have rail or stanchion storage racks, first thing to do is attach a line to a hard point on the kayak, roughly centered so that its balanced. Run the other end of the line over the rail or lifeline (or to a boom type block & tackle) to a deck fitting or stanchion and secure. If your racks fold, put a little tension on the lift line, slide your kayak out of the 1st support, fold it, then slide your kayak back out of the 2nd support and fold it. If not, slide the kayak out of the racks and along the deck until free of the racks. Release tension on the lift line and gradually lower the kayak into the water. Use the lift line to walk it over to your boarding ladder or platform. I must admit that in the old days (before storage racks), the two of us would simply lift and toss our kayaks overboard.