How to fish a new jib halyard through masthead sheaves

Oct 19, 2019
Albin Vega 27 Limerick
I'm probably over-analysing this..
I'm replacing my 10mm braid on braid jib halyard with 8mm dyneema.
The new halyard has a "fishing loop" to make it easier to fish through the mast head sheaves.
I could ignore this and cut out a few inches of core from the 10mm braid on braid, push a few inches of the 8mm dyneema halyard (possibiy removing an inch or two of the dyneema cover) into hollow formed and stitch into place. A temporary "lazy man's splice" Then pull the old halyard through the sheaves - should be easy as the "junction" is from larger to smaller diameter. I might even lubricate the junction with a little wash up liquid but I don't see why it should be necessary.
Alternatively I could use the fishing loop on the new 8mm dyneema halyard and tie the adjacent ends of the two halyards together with heavy whipping line or similar? Seems more likely to stick at the masthead than my DIY method?
I don't want to drop the mast just to free an unnecessary jam! I probably am over-analysing.. :)
Any comments welcome.
John V1447 Breakaway

Feb 12, 2008
I've stitched lines end to to end, wrapped the joint in electrical tape and had no problems pulling them through the mast.Usually, I use a small diameter (1/8") messenger line of braided masons twine fastened with a running hitch or series of half hitches to the bitter end of the old line (wrapped with electrical tape) and pull the messenger line through the mast with the old line.Next I use a running hitch or series of half hitches to attach the messenger line to the new line at the mast base, wrap the hitches with electical tape and continue wrapping past the end of the new line onto the messenger line, gradually tapering the wrap to form a cone or point. Pull the new line through. The "cone" of electical tape helps prevent hangups. Obviously, if there is a shackle or something on the new line, you would want to attach the bitter end of the new line to the end of the messenger line that comes out of the mast head and pull it down the mast.I have never had problems with either method. Tim