how to find replacement v-belt

Status
Not open for further replies.

njl

May 30, 2011
Westsail 32 NYC
I'm trying to replace a v-belt labeled "Napa Premium XL 25-11755/9463". It's for the raw water pump on a Volvo Penta MD2B.

I took the old belt to PepBoys and they found one that seemed to match, but when I put it on it kept twisting back and forth; and on comparing, the new belt is a little wider with a shallower V, so it won't work. I'm trying to locate a replacement online, but am having difficulty as I have no idea of the significance of the numbers.

Can anyone suggest the best way of finding a replacement?

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I could not find any raw water pump belt related to your engine which leads me to believe the boat builder or PO may have paired an external pump to your engine. The NAPA belt that you make reference to seems to be discontinued and the numbers are meaningless. I would suggest you measure the length or outer circumference of the the current belt and the width and the heighth of the V and take these measurements to your local auto parts retailers to see if you can locate a match. If you can remove the pump or pulley and take it with you it may help in picking out a substitute with a similar V angle.

MrUnix

Mar 24, 2010
Hunter 23 Gainesville, FL
If I remember correctly, the '/' dash in a NAPA part number indicates either/or.. so in your case, either a 25-11755 or a 25-9463. NAPA doesn't have a listing for 11755, but it does for the 9463. Here is the NAPA 25-9463 belt. Check the measurements to see if it matches up with your old belt.

The Gates parts interchange lists the NAPA 25-11755 as being a canceled number, and shows a Gates 9463 or 9463HD as a replacement. It also lists the 9463/9463HD as the Gates replacement for NAPA 25-9463.

And finally... the auto belt cross reference over at Auto Belts Online shows the NAPA 25-9463 as being cross referenced to a Gates 9463 or a Dayco 17463.

Yes.. late at night with not a lot to do :cry:

Cheers,
Brad

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
OOPS, hit the post instead of "go advanced"
The above link has the decode on belt numbers so you can go "pull one off the rack" It is about 2 screens down the document.

Status
Not open for further replies.