How to create a brand-specific forum

Feb 3, 2009
Freedom 40/40 Rio Dulce, Guatemala
I want to create a Knysna brand-specific forum. How does one go about doing that?

-- Geoff

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Why limit the forum that way? Isn't the point of having a forum to exchange as much information with as many people as possible? Do Knysna owners have significantly different problems than other boat owners, that only they can resolve? A brand-specific forum limits the input and reduces the value of the forum. Look at SBO website forums. Ask All Sailors has more than 48k threads and 600k messages. The different brand-specific forums: Catalina, Hunter, and then an extensive list of other builders, have much smaller numbers and are much less active. Some have no activity whatsoever. Form an owners' association, perhaps, but don't wall yourself off from the valuable input available from the SBO sailing community as a whole.

Feb 3, 2009
Freedom 40/40 Rio Dulce, Guatemala
Why limit the forum that way? Isn't the point of having a forum to exchange as much information with as many people as possible? Do Knysna owners have significantly different problems than other boat owners, that only they can resolve? A brand-specific forum limits the input and reduces the value of the forum...
There are lots of questions that are specific to Knysna owners. I host the Freedom Yachts forum on my website, and I can assure you that there are plenty of questions that are highly brand-specific. I just don't want to get into hosting/managing another forum.

The current "forum" is a WhatsApp chat group, similar to what you get on FaceBook groups. The problem with that format is that there's no history to look back on, and the same questions get asked over and over. That's why I would much prefer directing people to here.

Of course, they can post generic questions to groups like Ask All Sailors, but by having a brand-specific group, people could follow that without having to follow everything else.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
There is a company sponsored KNYSA forum. It has 144 members, yet there are a no messages on the forum. Why do you think it would be any different here on SBO?

Edit: There is also a Knysna forum on Cruisers Forum with one post from the company and only 9 members.

A brand specific forum is going to be a tough sell to the powers that be.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I understand your reasoning, and it's a good idea for keeping your groups posts separate from the masses. In other words, the smaller, specific number of posts will span a long time period, making it easier to reference.. However, because most of us subscribe to "ask all sailors' we're going to see all the posts when they sre made. So if you're hoping to make group participation exclusive, you may be disappointed. I can't tell you how many times I have unknowingly chimed in on brand specific group posts. It just happens.
That said, it's a really good idea, because your brand specific group will only show those particular posts.. making it much, much easier to archive and research. You should end up with an anthology of boat brand related content that is relatively short and uncontaminated. Good luck, I'll be interested in how it evolves.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The problem with that format is that there's no history to look back on, and the same questions get asked over and over.
That said, it's a really good idea, because your brand specific group will only show those particular posts.. making it much, much easier to archive and research. You should end up with an anthology of boat brand related content that is relatively short and uncontaminated.
That whole Google or Yahoo group idea is so very, very dumb. I agree with Geoff that the "groups" crapola avoids history, is impossible to search, and, worst, to me, is the bloody format, or lack thereof, which ends up in those looong threads with either repetition or cut off with no reference. I tried to get the C355s to join us on our forum but they started their own google group and while I registered for it, it is a walking pile of useless repetition. The search engine on this 'site is worth its weight in new anchors! Groups ain't got no search function and I believe it makes them useless, useless, useless.
Geoff, can you not ask the moderators here to help you out? The C310s get "hosted" here as their owners association website page sends 'em here.
Good luck.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
There are lots of questions that are specific to Knysna owners.
Seems a bit odd of a rational. The Knysna sailboat is a high end small volume “family owned boutique builder”. The catamaran yard reports it has been building boats for 18 years. There is a community forum of 144 participants on the builders site with minimal activity in their own “exclusive” forum.

It appears the boats float on the water, are made of fiberglass, have anchors, plumbing systems, engine systems, sails etc. like many of the boats that owners seek general knowledge about here on SBO.

If I was an owner of a Knysna boat and I had a unique query, I would go to the source not this forum. It would be like contacting a relative vs posting a query on a social media forum about the unique hardware installed.

As Greg suggests, perhaps there could be an option in the future if 2 or more owners asked questions.

I am just not sure a place setting would ever find a guest at the table.