How to change water heater on 1987 Catalina 30?

Jan 28, 2017
Catalina 30 Mk II Yorktown, VA
If I just want to say "forget it" and eliminate the AC hot water, how much plumbing is involved? I know there are input lines from the water tanks via the water pump, outlet lines to the galley and head and lines to and from the heat exchanger. Does anyone have experience eliminating the water heater, or at least the electric side?

gfroch

Jun 5, 2004
Catalina 30 Rochester, NY
Hi-

We eliminated our hot water heater. I did have the help of a friend. As for getting it out, it was pretty easy to take it out of the opening beneath the rear berth with some slow wiggling and maneuvering. The outflow hot water hose from the engine was just directed back to the inflow. Then I just connected the in hose to the out hose. The whole process took less than an hour. I don't need hot water so I gained some storage and lost some weight. The best part was that the old hot water tank was putting out some STANKY, STINKY water. Smell gone.

Good luck!

Jan 28, 2017
That sounds like my situation exactly. If I ever change my mind, I can get a new water heater. And I too am getting a really foul smell from the hot water side. Probably my fault for putting anti-freeze in it last winter. I should have read Peggie's article before I winterized. Thanks!

gfroch

Jun 5, 2004
Catalina 30 Rochester, NY
BTW, mine is also an '87. Let me know how it goes.
Also BTW... LOVE Williamsburg!

Jul 1, 2004
Catalina 30 Atlanta GA
That "rotten egg" smell is just sulfur bacteria that has built up in the heater and easy to remedy by simply flushing the heating unit out several times. Good to get in the habit of running your hot water on occasion. Simply let your hot water run for awhile, recharge and do it again! I wanted hot water for showering and washing and opted to replace my heater despite the difficulties of removal. As discussed in other threads I had to cut fiberglass to remove it and replace it, while others found it easy to wiggle out toward the galley side.

Bob

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Good to get in the habit of running your hot water on occasion.
Actually, it is even better to get in the habit of running your hot water all the time, even if you do not have hot water. It keeps the water moving through the coil.

Feb 27, 2018
Catalina 30 MKII TM NFYC Somers, MT
The water heater for the 1988 C30 I acquired last August works on shore power but not by engine heat. I pulled the heat transfer lines off the engine today and could blow anti-freeze through them, so there is no blockage. Anybody got any guesses why its not working? Its still winter here so I cannot fire up the engine.

Feb 27, 2018
Catalina 30 MKII TM NFYC Somers, MT
So I searched another forum and it sounds like I either need a new thermostat or there was air in the lines or both. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. thanks.

Jan 28, 2017
I have not broken the code on removal yet. Sliding the heater to the port (galley) side is not a possibility on my boat and I don't want to cut the bulkhead fiberglass forward of the heater - at least yet. I have cut the sheet metal cover enough to remove the heating element and hope I can get the heater going again with a new element, but if this fails I am considering the removal of the sheet metal cover and removal in parts. I am wondering how badly I need a water heater.

Apr 18, 2012
Catalina 400 MKI 67 LaSalle,Mi
I have a 1992 and replaced the heating element with the heater in place. I soaked the threads for a couple of weeks with penetrating oil and with heat from 2 butane torches it unscrewed easily. Be sure to use a good quality socket that has a large contact area, the "nut" isn't very wide

Jul 23, 2018
Catalina 30 Clinton
If by chance you have to replace your water heater and you cannot slip it backwards through the drawer unit, here is what you end up doing. Cutting fiberglass to get it out and back in! Bob.
How did you reinstall this piece after removing it.