How properly clean my new toilet

Sep 11, 2013
Catalina 25 6106 Lake Erie Metro Park
Now that I’ve replaced my entire system (head, hoses, fittings and tank), what’s the best way to clean it? I’m the past I’ve only used household cleaners on the bowl, Fantastic or 409 and Zaal No Flex Digestor in the tank. When I pulled the old head out, there was a lot of black crud that came out from under the rim. What’s the best product to use on the new head so the nasty smells don’t come back?

Tom G

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I'd bet money that your toilet intake line and maybe even the pump too were also full of black crud...mud, dead and decaying vegetable --and maybe even some micro and not so micro animal--sea life. This is common in shallower waters that have a lot of bottom vegetation, and Lake Erie is a shallow lake. So it would be a good idea to install a strainer on the intake line. Mount it above waterline as close to the intake thru-hull as possible to make it easier to remove to clean it...which you'll have to do at least once--maybe even a couple of times-- a season. It would also be
a good idea to remove the intake line from the thru-hull once or twice a year to stick into a bucket of water...flush the entire bucketful.

As for cleaning the toilet bowl, NEVER use household chemical bowl cleaners...they damage the plumbing and rubber parts in the pump. There are a number of "marine" bowl cleaners... Raritan CP Cleans Potties is the best and also happens to be the best sump and drain cleaner on the planet. However, I used to clean mine using rubber gloves and a little Comet or other similar product on a sponge that I kept in the vanity just for this purpose. Just flush to rinse.

A bit more maintenance than you're used to doing along with the cost of adding strainer, but I think you'll it worth doing.

--Peggie