How often do you clean your sails?

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Ken Palmer

I purchased two new sails two years ago from one of the big sail makers. The genoa is a 150% radial-cut laminate (Dacron sandwiching Mylar). It is also a roller-furled sail, using a UV-treated Dacron strip. By the end of my first season of sailing, I noticed mildew growing on or behind the UV cloth on the genoa. I was quite surprised because Rochester isn't a very warm climate. I contacted the sailmaker, and was given a story about mildew and what a problem it can be. This is all compounded by having a laminate sail which should not be cleaned with bleach. They offered to professionally clean the sail at my own expense, but could offer no guarantee the mildew would be gone. I decided to wait another year. Now it is the end of the second season, and the mildew is worse. In fact, it seems to be on the sail cloth as well as the UV cover. I talked with the sail rep, and again he talked about cleaning. They have offered to remove and/or replace the UV material. I have to pay for the cleaning, and who knows what else. I have to ship via UPS since this isn't a local loft. My question to everybody is: How often do you have your sails cleaned? I realise that us fresh water sailors don't have the salt problem, so I expext we don't have to clean them as often. Am I expecting too much? Ken Plamer

J

Jim Russell

3-4 years but . . . .

We'll send our 4 year old 340 sails in for cleaning this year. However, we shipped the main in two years ago for modification (full battens). Some other work was done at that time. In South Dakota, one does not have to worry about mildew much, but dirt is another thing. I would guess we will send them in for repair and cleaning about every three to four years. Did that with the H30Tall when we had it, too.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Never Cleaned

We've never had our sails "cleaned", but we have washed them down with a hose. In the Pacific Northwest mold is a real problem one has to fight all the time. I take the sails off around mid October and put them on again around April or May. One year they didn't get on until July 4th! It rains a bit here. Our original sails are 12 years old and a couple years ago we bought new North sails (110 and Main). The plan was to use the OEM sails for the winter and the new sails for the summer seasons. The problem is the sail shape of the new sails is so supperior to the old sails that I really don't want to use the old ones. The old sails are still good shape color-wise and don't have any mold but also don't have that new color and feel. Sorta like an old shoe. We also have a Norlam triradial 150 with a clear UV strip like you have, circa 1991, and it has a slight bit of discoloration problem under the UV strip. The 'fix' was just like you mentioned and was worse than the cure. The new sails are not Norlam and have a white glue-on UV strip which has worked well for two seasons. The sails are still on the boat this year but will probably come off on Saturday as at least one weatherman is forcasting rain on Sunday but I'll keep my options open for the weekend. The last two or three winters have been relatively miled but the National Weather Service is predicting a return to 'normal' - i.e., more of the wet stuff and colder. If you guys in the Northeast don't burn as much fossil fuels this winter due to shortages then our next winter will be probably be colder and wetter than this one! Grey sails are a real bumber.

D

DICK MCKEE

Sail Cleaning

on 10/10 there is another post here in ask all sailors. One of the replys gives the e-mail address of a company on the east coast that specializes in cleaning sails. You didn't mention the model of you boat, but they have prices posted on the net if you decide to have it claeaned want to compare prices..

J

Justin - O'day Owners' Web

Every Year

I have my sails cleaned and repaired yearly. I use a local loft, though a large one that services a lot of racing yachts. I think they charge $2 per pound or something similar. This amounts to less $100 for me; those of you with larger sails would obviously be out a bit more scratch. The service includes cleaning, thorough examination and an hour of repair per sail. Both my main and 135 are new this year, so hopefully there will be no repair involved. They way I figure, its cheap insurance in case I missed a seam when I was checking them myself. Justin - O'day Owners' Web

D

DON

MYLAR

This is a common problem with mylar sails. Dacron "breathes" and mylar traps moisture. You don't have much choice but to remove and clean as required. I lay my dacron sails on the lawn every other year and scrub with a soft brush. I use a little laundry soap that has non chlorine whitener. So far, I have not damaged the sails.

J

Jeff Taylor

Mildew problems are problems

Like you I bought new sails last season and an plagued with mildew. RF sails sit in the rain and cannot dry after a rain. At the end of each season and in the middle of the season I take my RF sail off wash it in frest water. and use soft scrub GEL so it does not leave any film this helps greatly. DO NOT SEND YOU SAILS TO "SAIL CARE" in PA. Both my main and genoa shrunk. I lost 9" in hoist and 6" in out haul and could never get sail shape back. The sail looks great and feel new but not worth crap in the boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.