How much water is too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Randy

The shaft packing on my 84 C-27 drips while motoring (as expected!). In a period of about 2 hours of motoring, about 1.5 gallons of water collects in the bilge. How much is too much? Is a gallon per hour acceptable? I haven't tried any adjustments to the stuffing box. Any feedback would be appreciated...thanks! Randy

B

Bob Robeson

Sound to high to me.

The correct setting (as I know it)for you stuffing box is to have it just drip a little while running, but not while sitting. I can motor for 8 hours and don't get a quart of water (more like a pint or less). And nothing while not motoring. A gallon an hour is way to much, tighten replace fix or learn to swim. Don't over tighten and you may want to tighten a little and run for a while to check it, then tighten or loosen again as neccessary. Good luck Bob Emerald Oddysea C-36

T

Todd Osborne

A bit too much

I believe the quoted amount is one drop every 60 seconds while running. Seems you have way more than that. Time to tighten or replace your packing gland.

J

Jmalt

Whoa...

That amount is way too much. My '85 w/ aux Univ M-18 w/ Hurth trans only leaks a few drops when motoring. less than 1/2 pint in several hours. this is ok as the stuffing gland and shaft are not being overheated. I would repack the gland and above all, have someone show you how to do it properly. This is not the time to learn, its time to watch an experienced hand do it.

J

Jeff Walker

Avoid over-tightening

I had the same problem with my Cat 30 so I got in there and tightened the packing nut. Well, after motoring around the harbor about a half hour, I heard this awful noise. The packing nut had gotten so hot that it expanded and un-screwed itself, stripping the threads, then imbeded itself into the back of the threaded shaft by the transmission killing the engine. The result was that water was pouring in and the nut was stripped and un-movable. The only thing I could do was wrap it with duct tape and sail back to the slip. Make sure after you adjust the nut and stop the dripping that you can easily turn the shaft without generating any friction. Run for 5 minutes in gear and feel the stuffing housing for excessive heat, there should be none. Good luck and I hope you never have my bad experience. Jeff

B

Bob

Might not be stuffing box.

I had a similar problem and my stuffing box was OK. I was leaking around the exhaust outlet.

R

Randy

Thanks for all the replies...

Thanks for all the replies so far. I think my plan will be to 1st determine that there are no other sources of water (such as the exhaust hose, etc.), then to carefully adjust the stuffing box to reduce the flow of water. Thanks for all the great advice so far! Randy

M

Mike Hagerman

4-6 Drops per Minute

I researched this issue last summer, the 1st year with my Cat 30. Though I found varying advice, 4-6 drops per minute appears to be the concensus. What worries me is that you're accumulating 1.5 gallons of water - doesn't the Cat 27 have a bilge pump? With "normal" dripping, you shouldn't even notice any accumulation even after being away for a week. Still it kind of worrisome that our boats have to intentionally leak!

R

Randy

The dripping shaft

I'm just now getting used to the idea that ANYTHING should be dripping into the bilge at all. I'm used to a smaller boat that didn't have any thru hulls... Anyway, yes, I do have a bilge pump, but the amount of water collecting is too little for the pump to maintain suction. The small puddle doesn't even engage the float switch. The gallon or two that lays in the bilge is only about a 1/4" deep. I actually had difficulty getting the portable hand pump to pick it up cause the puddle was so "shallow". I really don't think this is a "sinking" issue, rather it's a question of what level of dripping is right. By the way, nothing enters the bilge when the boat is not motoring. On my next visit I will check the stuffing box and adjust. Randy

M

Melody Miller

Reply to "Avoid Over Tightening"

Hi Jeff: Your experience with over tightening is so instructive, that I printed it out and put in my maintenance binder. Thanks for telling it. Melody Miller

J

Jeff Walker

Thanks Melody

My problem is that everything I learn seems to be from bad experiences I have. Hopefully I'll be able to get smarter in the future without having to break my boat in the process. Thanks for the nice words, Jeff s/v Suzanne

Status
Not open for further replies.