How Much Paint

May 23, 2011
Hunter Hunter Vision 32 Daytona Beach
How many gallons will it take to do at least two coats of bottom paint for a Vision 32? Also for topsides?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Probably need to know what paint...most paints will give you some coverage estimates...but you will need to calculate square footage of the are you want to paint.

VC17 for example goes on VERY thin, and I use about 2-3 quarts to the bottom on my O’Day 322. But I only apply 1 coat per year (this is for the wetted part of the hull).

I can’t help with top sides...I assume you don’t mean the deck.

Greg

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Every different kind of paint goes on differently and the coverage is printed on the can and other documentation. You can do a very rough estimate of your boats underwater surface: length x beam x 2/3 (.66). Actual shape of the hull makes a difference but this will get you close. Divide this answer by the coverage on the can.

• Helpful
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Every different kind of paint goes on differently and the coverage is printed on the can and other documentation. You can do a very rough estimate of your boats underwater surface: length x beam x 2/3 (.66). Actual shape of the hull makes a difference but this will get you close. Divide this answer by the coverage on the can.
I don’t think I e seen that formula before. Where does it come from? Is that for a true double ender or a transom boat?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Read the label on the paint can. Capt jgw's formula is pretty standard. Bottom paint is way cheaper by the gallon, so it's better to buy too much... and just keep adding layers till you run out. Topside paint is easier, because most of the surfaces are flat... so you can measure like you're buying wall paint. But again, the manufacturer will discuss coverage on the label itself.
On my 27 foot fin keel yacht, 1 gallon of hard shell (modified epoxy) type paint will give me two coats with an extra layer on leading edges of keel and rudder. Your 32 footer will probably be in the 2 gallon range. If you use a boatyard, most of them will have restrictions for DIY customers to conform to local EPA guidelines and will often require the paint to be purchased from them. Whenever I've done this, the chandlery manager only charges for what I use. So, in most cases, it works out to your advantage... rather than ending up with more than you need .

Aug 3, 2010
Hunter 326 Charleston SC
If you're doing the painting yourself then 2 gal with a short nap roller for most ablative paints.

May 23, 2011
Probably need to know what paint...most paints will give you some coverage estimates...but you will need to calculate square footage of the are you want to paint.

VC17 for example goes on VERY thin, and I use about 2-3 quarts to the bottom on my O’Day 322. But I only apply 1 coat per year (this is for the wetted part of the hull).

I can’t help with top sides...I assume you don’t mean the deck.

Greg
Thanks Greg I mean the hull and possibly the deck

May 23, 2011
Thanks for the formula Captain

May 23, 2011
Read the label on the paint can. Capt jgw's formula is pretty standard. Bottom paint is way cheaper by the gallon, so it's better to buy too much... and just keep adding layers till you run out. Topside paint is easier, because most of the surfaces are flat... so you can measure like you're buying wall paint. But again, the manufacturer will discuss coverage on the label itself.
On my 27 foot fin keel yacht, 1 gallon of hard shell (modified epoxy) type paint will give me two coats with an extra layer on leading edges of keel and rudder. Your 32 footer will probably be in the 2 gallon range. If you use a boatyard, most of them will have restrictions for DIY customers to conform to local EPA guidelines and will often require the paint to be purchased from them. Whenever I've done this, the chandlery manager only charges for what I use. So, in most cases, it works out to your advantage... rather than ending up with more than you need .
Thanks for the info Joe. I do not think I'll have to worry about which paint to use in the boatyard in Green Cove Springs Florida

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Thanks for the info Joe. I do not think I'll have to worry about which paint to use in the boatyard in Green Cove Springs Florida
Not sure what you mean by that, EPA is federal, and it's not really about the type of paint, but the procedures you use. For instance, most boatyards will have specific rules for any kind or sanding, paint removal and product disposal. This isn't just for govt. reg compliance, but as a courtesy to your boat neighbors... so be serious... check with the yard owner before you do anything. I know it's Florida, but you can still be responsible to your environment and your fellow boaters.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
If painting with a off the shelf local stock 1 gallon will probably do it and you can always run back to store to buy 1 more quart