How Much Hull Flex Is Usual

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 10, 2004
- - Bayfield WI
How much hull flex or distortion is acceptable ? The door in the forward bulkhead binds slightly more once the boat is in the water vs. in the cradle and also you can hear it working when in a sea way. The same holds true for the bulk head aft of the navigation station which is part of the head enclosure and is most evident in a beam sea. I don't see any gaps but can make the floor squeak at this latter bulkhead by stepping on it. Thanks for any reply

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Don't Think That's At All Unusual

nm

Tim C.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Oriental, NC
Daryl, Please move on

Daryl, Please move on, if you have as you say in this response disposed of your Hunter. We have owned our 410 since last July and began monitoring this board. I have seen nothing but negative comments from you. A lot of the ability to take a vessel ofshore is in the mettle of the Captain and crew. I can not imagine you ever being able to go offshore with your negative spin on every subject. I have made deliveries to the Carribean, Bahamas and Bermuda with all kinds of vessels and sure would not want an individual with your attitude on board. Why do you continue to torture and torment yourself and us with your comments? What is the reason you do not post your location other than USA? Also,if you felt there was a problem with your previous Hunter and you unloaded it on someone else without their knowledge, shame on you. Tim

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
Hey Tim,

We've asked Daryl pretty much the same questions before. He doesn't answer. The reasons for his comments are left to the reader to guess. Perhaps he needs a good urologist for er------ dysfunction? Just kidding Daryl.

Jun 3, 2004
- - USA
Get Over It

Most of these vessels including the h34 I owned for almost ten years have their limitations. My hull had way more flex that most vessels of that size. The rudders are weak and poorly designed. I had the pleasure of buying two of them over a ten year period. I saw how the wood compression post was made and replaced it with stainless steel. I fought rusty keels for years before I finally sand blasted and epoxy coated mine. I provided advice for folks working on leaks. Yeah there are some very loyal owners who have opinions that are different that mine. I and the new owner of my vessel are aware of the limitations (unlike Fred) Folks are permitted to publish opinions that differ from Tim or Fred. Tim C. I hope you enjoy your 410 although I'm not sure why and experienced "captain" would choose that boat.

May 10, 2004
- - Bayfield WI
Guys! Guys!

Please don't fight amongst yourselves. All I wanted to know is should I be concerned about this flexing. Thanks Rick and Fred.

May 15, 2004
Hunter 34 CANYON LAKE,TX
Daryl, please advise dream boat

for reference. I am afraid to even take my H34 out of the slip based on your posts.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
daryl's rants

Daryl, we've been listening to your opinions (yes, you have first amendment rights) for so long now, I just had to ask- if your H34 was such a horrible boat, why did you buy a second one? also, I'd also like to know what you think is a good boat? don't forget most of us have a budget, so please talk apples to apples

Jun 3, 2004
- - USA
Chuck?

Hello! Pay attention here. I used to own an H34 but no longer own it (and never considered buying another one). I said lots of wonderful things about the boat and still do. I bought it because I could stand up in the cabin, it was easy to single hand, it performed well and I could afford it on the one payment plan. In the $25k price range it was the best bang for the boat. After almost ten years I rebuilding, repairing and upgrading I changed my opinion and occasionally share it with others. I know know why the H34 sell for a lot less than the Catalina 34 and other production boats (and you know why too). They are not horrible boats but they do no meet my current needs. I currently do not own a sailboat but am casually exploring the market. I wouldn't buy another 34' vessel in that price range because I no longer do costal cruising and would like to go out of sight of land. I've looked at Tartans, Sabre's, Pearsons, Wet snails, Pacific Seacraft and a few others.

May 10, 2004
- - Bayfield WI
Forever is a long time

Allright!! This was my thread and I need your advice. Stop picking on each other or you will all spend eternity in the desert!

Tim C.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Oriental, NC
Mark, I apologize to you

Sorry to you Mark for venting at Daryl on your thread. I am sure that someone benefits from his posts. If Daryl will provide an e-mail address to me, (Daryl, see mine below) I will respond to his last statement. I have been on our 410 for the last 12 days (out of sight of land part of the time) and all was great, no problems. That is why this delayed response. Tim Carrere captim@mindspring.com

Mar 20, 2004
apology

I'm also sorry, Mark. Your question is a good one and we/I shouldn't divert the thread.

Tim C.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Oriental, NC
A response to your question

Mark, For a legitiment response to your question, all boats flex. If they didn't they would crack open like an egg. Pearsons, Valiants, Endeavors, Cals, Catalinas, Hunters, etc... all will flex and "pump" in a seaway. If it is a significant sea it will sound like a freight train down below with all of the flexing. For the issue of the door sticking as you say in your post you may want to check the rigging tension. If enough downward force is placed on the hull it will cause the internal bulkheads especially around the mast area to distort. Most vessels are built and interiors finished out on land. When they are placed in the water the hull will take its natural shape and some interior adjustments could be necessary, such as planing the edge of the door. If you are significantly concerned, have a surveyor check it out. Time and money well spent for your peace of mind. Tim

May 10, 2004
- - Bayfield WI
Thanks Guys.

No apologies nec. The change on the bulkhead in which the door is located is less than 1/4" at the base of the arch just above the floor so I would think this to be a slight inner distortion. It was good to see alively discussion but just wanted toget back to business.

Jun 3, 2004
- - USA
Door / Bulkhead Clearance

During ten years of ownership to had to remove the forward door at trim it with a circular saw on two occasions. I needed more than a sander of plane to get it to close. I've seen sister ships with the same concern so you are not alone. Stored on the hard (on cradle) in New England during winter mines saw sub zero temperatures up to 95 during summer. I added small "stringers" on the large flat panels in the bow and stern to reduce what I considered excessive flex hey Tim, ddaaryl@yahoo'com vent away!

Mar 20, 2004
hull flex

Mark, tim's answer covers it pretty well-what you've got sounds fairly normal, but if you have any concerns have it looked at. some flex is built into every design, even very large ships to absorb shock -if not, your boat would weigh 100 tons

Status
Not open for further replies.