HOW MUCH HP DO I NEED FOR MY 50 YEAR OLD O'DAY 22?

May 12, 2021
O'DAY 22 CATSKILL
I AM RETIRED ON LIMITED INCOME. THE PREVIOUS OWNER HAD A 7.5 HONDA HP ON THIS LOVELY LITTLE DAY SAILER ON THE HUDSON RIVER, BUT I WANT TO PASS HELLS GATE TO Long Island, AND PERHAPS DO THE CAPE COD CANAL. I AM SHOPPING FOR A NEW MOTOR, BUT NEED ADVICE FROM EXPERIENCED O'DAY. 22 OWNERS AS TO HOW MUCH HP DO I NEED? I AM A SAILOR NOT A MOTOR CRUISER, SO I ONLY WILL USE THE OUTBOARD WHEN I NEED TO GET THROUGH TOUGH CURRENTS AND TIDES .

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I think sail sfbay has given good advice. I'm not familiar with the rule of thumb, but most owners of the O'Day Mariner 19 have less than 5 hp. I haven't heard anyone with a 2 horse motor complaining in our association, so I would think a 5hp would be adequate for your 22. Going bigger on a displacement hull is just a waste of fuel.

If you are fighting waves and headwinds, you may want a high thrust propeller over a high speed prop. Two slim blades is good to reduce drag under sail, if you keep the lower unit in the water, but more broader blades gives you more thrust against the headwinds when the sea kicks up. Speed through the water tops out at around Hull Speed no matter what.

-Will

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I WANT TO PASS HELLS GATE TO Long Island, AND PERHAPS DO THE CAPE COD CANAL.
Congrats on reaching retirement. Welcome to the SBO Forum.

Nice to hear you identify as a sailor. With a favorable wind you should be able to navigate through the waters without need of a motor. It was a skill applied for many years prior to the steam engine.

Note I used the word navigate. You will need to become familiar with the tides and currents. Retired folk have an open schedule. No need to rush. Choose your time of transit when the tides and currents are with you. Your existing Honda will be more than enough auxiliary power for your O’Day 22. If the PO took the outboard with him, then look at the 5-6 Hp motors. Yamaha or Honda. Moderate weight. More than enough power.

Then use the Sea to guide you and your timing. Sail without schedules.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Yup, a long shaft 6 HP with a high thrust propeller would be great on that boat. The separate fuel tank model to keep from having to refuel while balanced on the transom is preferred.. Tohatsu makes the engines for Mercury
Tohatsu 6hp outboard engine
Their Sail Pro model is a good looking engine for sailboats..

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
We had a Catalina 22 on San Francisco Bay in the early to mid 1980s. We had a 7.5 hp Mercury two stroke which served us well. At times, with the currents there, we could get caught going backwards!

Unless weight is an issue, since newer four strokes of the same hp are considerably heavier, I would be inclined to keep the same hp. While you're talking about Hell Gate and the canal which should be taken at slack, you have to travel other bits of water to get there which mathematically won't be at slack.

If weight is an issue, then look for the most powerful engine you can find. That said, at one time we had a Honda 7.5hp early four stroke that was much heavier on that boat. Didn't seem to make much difference, like another very lightweight crew in the cockpit. Make sure your motor mount is up to it.

Good luck, safe journey. Please turn off the caps.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Congrats on reaching retirement. Welcome to the SBO Forum.

Nice to hear you identify as a sailor. With a favorable wind you should be able to navigate through the waters without need of a motor. It was a skill applied for many years prior to the steam engine.

Note I used the word navigate. You will need to become familiar with the tides and currents. Retired folk have an open schedule. No need to rush. Choose your time of transit when the tides and currents are with you. Your existing Honda will be more than enough auxiliary power for your O’Day 22. If the PO took the outboard with him, then look at the 5-6 Hp motors. Yamaha or Honda. Moderate weight. More than enough power.

Then use the Sea to guide you and your timing. Sail without schedules.
One little problem! I can't speak for transitting Hell's Gate, but it is not allowed to sail through the Cape Cod Canal!! ALL vessels MUST have adequate power to transit, That said, I would think 5-6hp would be plenty to go through the Canal with good control. The SECRET is to do so, as "jssailerm" said, don't rush, make your transit with a fair current, that is... don't try to go against the 5-6 knot current, time your passage to go with the current (consult the fine annual publication, "The ELDRIDGE TIDE AND PILOT BOOK" it will list when the currents are fair for both Hell's Gate and the CC Canal. Available from most New England Marine Book stores, $16.95 I know that Hamilton Marine in Maine has it, Defender in CT. or West Marine. All those are also on-line.

"The indispensable resource for East Coast boaters, the ELDRIDGE TIDE AND PILOT BOOK 2021 has tides and currents for ports from Nova Scotia to Key West. Often referred to as the mariner's bible, Eldridge has been published for 145 years, giving boaters valuable information on GPS and electronic navigation, marine weather, Federal regulations, navigation rules, coastal piloting tips, and emergency first aid. As a back-up for electronics, Eldridge is a vital reference. Readers will be further rewarded with useful articles on fishing, nautical astronomy, and maritime traditions. "

Attachments