how much horsepower should I be looking for?

Nov 1, 2013
C&C 25 25 Halifax
I just bought a 25 foot C&C 25 in the fall and after having the honda 9.9 outboard serviced over the winter, found out that the motor is fit for the junkyard. I am now in the hunt for a new outboard but am at a loss as to what to get.
I would like to keep it cheap so a second hand motor is more in my price range, but I could buy new.
When I go into the outboard dealerships different salesmen will tell me I need a 5,6,8 and 10 horsepower engine. I am sailing off the coast of Nova Scotia so currents and tides are important to think about.

Can I get away with a 6 hp engine?
Any help with this would be a great help.
Thanks

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
A general rule of thumb is that you need about 2 hp per thousand pounds of displacement. I would opt for no less than 8 hp and a long shaft.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Strong tidal currents is probably why the PO had a 10 HP on it. I would stick with the same.

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
I would say that 8 hp is a minimum and in your case 9.9 is better (don't go over 10 HP, if you don't have to - it has some licensing repercussions)

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Get a second opinion on the Honda. Find a good shop and see what is wrong with it and cost for repair. I will bet it will be cheaper than buying a used one of questionable quality and definitely cheaper than a new one! $2.4k total for an electric start, 25" shaft 9.8 hp Tohatsu unit. Just bought one last fall. Look at www.onlineoutboards.com. Chief

Nov 1, 2013
C&C 25 25 Halifax
Hey Chief RA, The honda is from 1987, I took it to a very honest and reputable mechanic (not affiliated with any dealership) He said the carb was shot (won't idle), (200$ for a new carb) he said the engine oil was milky and the oil smelled burnt. All the gaskets were shot and apparently someone took the engine apart who didn't know much about engine repair and had put it back together wrong and forgot to put certain gaskets back on all together!
The bolts/housing for the impeller were so corroded that the mechanic didn't want to take it apart for rear that it woudn't go back together again.
When I bought the boat the motor it was a cold day and started up on the 10th pull. It idled rough so I took it into the shop.... probably should have got a better price on the boat/engine combo.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Scotchy,
Your story sounds bit like mine. The PO, who only had the boat out a couple of times, took the cowling off to work the throttle to get the OB to start. I researched and found the correct starting procedure. It did fine the four times we sailed before Sandy chased us out of the water. The Admiral said we should budget for a new OB. I said it would be fine.
That spring it kept dying on us when going to idle. 4th time out it wouldn't start. Got a "I told you so" look from the Admiral and bought a new OB.
While I could have gone with a 8hp, it was just a detuned 9.9 at the same weight. In fact, I was told Yamaha discontinued their 8hp. Sounds like for your type sailing you should stick with the 9.9hp but go with a XL shaft and high thrust prop.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
... Sounds like for your type sailing you should stick with the 9.9hp but go with a XL shaft and high thrust prop.
The Yamaha 9.9 high thrust will give a LOT more low speed push for the hp. Also much better reverse. The prop is geared lower, larger, and has a special exhaust deflector.

And add a larger aux fuel filter. It really helps.

Apr 8, 2010
Frers 33 41426 Westport, CT
The Yamaha 9.9 high thrust will give a LOT more low speed push for the hp. Also much better reverse. The prop is geared lower, larger, and has a special exhaust deflector.

And add a larger aux fuel filter. It really helps.
Check out the Tohatsu / Amita 4 blade high thrust props, they are even better than the Yamaha ones.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
The new 25" shaft 9.8 Tohatsu comes with the 4 blade prop, and Yamaha can't even come close to the price! Chief

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
The only problem I see with the Tohatsu is the location of the shift lever. It is on the front and just below the cowling and on the opposite side from the tiller with throttle. The O'day 25 has a high freeboard so it is quite a reach to move your hand from the throttle grip on the tiller and lean over to shift. The choke on my Yamaha is in that position and would be a pain if I had to adjust when when maneuvering into my slip.
I guess it depends how difficult it is to enter and exit your dock. And how long your arms are. :D

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
The only problem I see with the Tohatsu is the location of the shift lever. It is on the front and just below the cowling and on the opposite side from the tiller with throttle. The O'day 25 has a high freeboard so it is quite a reach to move your hand from the throttle grip on the tiller and lean over to shift. The choke on my Yamaha is in that position and would be a pain if I had to adjust when when maneuvering into my slip.
I guess it depends how difficult it is to enter and exit your dock. And how long your arms are. :D
That's why paying the $595 for the remote conversion kit is a good investment... having shift and throttle lever in the cockpit allows you to back and fill with ease.

Online Outboards won't ship remote models..... So: buy the elec start while it's on sale...http://www.onlineoutboards.com/Tohatsu-9-8-hp-MFS9-8A3EFL.html remove the tiller arm...add the remote kit... YOU'RE STYLIN'!!!

http://www.onlineoutboards.com/Help.html?Question=Remote-Conversion