How Much Heel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Glenn

How much heel is appropriate? My boat seems very tender on a close reach and will roll to 30 degrees in a stiff gust 20-25 knots. Usually I have a double reef in by then as well as furling the jib @ 50%, but it still heels at 20 degrees. This is most uncomfortable and I need to know whether to get used to it, or if I need to do something differently. I usually try to keep heeling to a max of 15 degrees by easing the main sheet but this causes luffing. I am using the original sails. Any input will be appreciated.

A

Alex

Sail trim

1. the 33.5 is -relatively to other Hunters- fast and quick to heel ,with it's high mast and shallow wing keel, but one can deal with that by correct trim of the sails. Basically , you should be able to keep the boat 'on feet'(15 % or less heeling angle) with double reef main and 50% rooled genoa in 20-25 kts. Make shure : a. you have the sail flattened (tighten outhaule, hylard and reefing line) b. you have the correct mast bent and rake ; too stright mast prevents the upper part of mainsail to 'twist' and spill the excess wind, and may cause heeling. c. mainsail might be 'overused'or 'blownout',( if regulary overtighten,or raced and 8-10 years old..) and the shape distorted ; it is so, altough you tighten all ropes the sail 1.remains too full , and 2.the deepest point of camber is more than 50% (of sail width) from the luff. d. have the traveller downwind all the way and tighten the boom-vang; doing so will correctly flattened the sail and avoid luffing-and excesive heeling. e.Do you have any significant weight added high above cabin floor level?( radar radom high on mast ,liferaft om railings,etc. or add-on in mast furling in front of the mast) All these add to heel angle on this kind of boat , and ultimatelly has a negative impact on stability curve. If you encounter winds of 25-30 kts at times , I suggest having a third reef added to the main. More 'racing'oriented 33.5 owners might give you additional specific sugestions.

S

Stephen Ostrander

also

Alex's advice is good advice. Is your headsail a stock 110% or is it oversized? If it is oversized that may contribute to the heeling, even when reefed. I find that reefing the mainsail first and then the headsail as needed works best. I have a stock 110% headsail. I have 2 reefs in my mainsail and sail in 18-24 knots quite often but I have never needed to use the 2nd reef.

G

Glenn Newcomb

110%

Headsail is 110%. I'd be interested in knowing how much heel you have when sailing in 18-25 knts with a single reef. Thanks.

R

Robert Fischer

sounds normal

30 degrees of heel in a 25 knt gust sounds normal. Depending on the year of your boat, I think it's a fairly light boat, (the newer the lighter) This may cause it to react quickly leading to some uncomfortable reactions. I tend to fall off somrwhat in heavy weather, this causes me sail at about 20 degrees of heal on a reach. You might try easing your traveler all the way to leeward.

P

Perry C.

First, flatten sail as much as possible.....

...then try using traveler more actively to control helm/heel, especially in the puffs. Use mainsheet to tension the leech just enough to keep it from flapping, (maintaining twist)

Status
Not open for further replies.