How much forestay Sag?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jim oursler

My 34 has roller furling. How do I determine proper forestay sag? Seems like a lot.

T

Ted

rig tension

Actually that may lead to a broader question that I too was wondering about - does anyone have info on the proper rig tension (shrouds and stays) for the H34?

J

J.Christian

reply to forestay sag

I have a h430 with an inter-forestay with B&R rigging and I assume you have B&R as well.I run the inter-forestay,when loaded with storm sail,as nearly as taught as the rest of the rigging,however slightly lest tension than the head sail. I have tuned the tension on the standing rigging IAW B&R's guidelines.(one page instructions from Hunter)But, essential, for the 430, you must evenly tighten both sides of the rigging to create a 6% bend in the mast.You can plumb from the top of the mast(not practical if your not on the hard) or eyeball it. I hope this helps. Quick call to customer service to be sure. JC

C

Charlie

Rig Tension

I purchased a tensiometer (Should have got the next larger size because the shrouds are larger)and it gave recommended working tension for different size cable. I used about 25% working tension as a guide. If you get sag on the lee shroud when you tack you might want to tighten the shrouds a little. I believe this is discussed in the owners manual. I do not know what the factory recommends for actual tension but my forestay sag is similar to most of the boats around me. Be careful, too much tension in not good and can cause hull dammage. Better too little than too much. Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.