How Much Bottom paint?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 13, 2007
Catalina 27 TR Lorain, Ohio
I just bought a 1977 Catalina 22 last Friday (Yes the 13th but what the heck sailors aren't a supersticious lot are they?) PO had just trailered and it hasn't been in the water for 2 years. I use to own the Thistle and my in-laws owned th Hunter 27 they we sailed quite a but until the sold it a few years ago. Needless the say, the Keel has some rust and the bottom paint is missing in a few areas.I plan to moor the boat all summer long in Lake Erie. I search the archives here and the closest I found to the amount of paint coverage is one guy got 3 coats per gal. If I recall correctly this stuff doesn't have a great shelf life and I know its really expensive. If I recall my father-in-law bought a quart once and touch up the Hunter (they bought it new) and was able to coat almost the whole bottom with it? I plan to drop the keel and grind the rust and primer with rust-o-leim or similar product. Then bottom coat the keel and trunk and whole bottom. Any flaws in this plan?

W

Waffle

RE:keel and grind the rust and primer with rust-o-

better check with Ross first but I thing you want to use a marine epoxy paint.

Nov 12, 2006
Catalina 36 Bainbridge Island
Bottom Paint

The number of coats is relevant to the type of bottom paint. 5 coats of hard epoxy is as good as one coat of hard epoxy. One coat of ablative is not as good as 5 coats of ablative. There are other types of bottom paints, and generally if the paint stays on the boat then one coat is all that is needed. When you repaint you will need to remove the previous coat, or it will begin to add "mils" to the bottom of the boat.

Ken

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 22 P. P. Y. C.
paint guide

I think you'll find what your looking for at the website.

Apr 13, 2007
Catalina 27 TR Lorain, Ohio
Who?

OK, so who is Ross? Also, I was doing some internet research and came across a product called POR 15. It's like a paint but is actually a brushable super glue. Has some nice looking salt spray tests. has anyone ever used this, especially for the iron keel?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
go to ken's link

... always get professional advice first, aka read the directions on the can. If I were you I'd buy a gallon of ablative paint, read the directions for prepping the bottom and put as many coats on as that gallon will give you. Go to the west marine advisor for an explanation of anti fouling paints. http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/westadvisor/10001/-1/10001/AntifoulingPaint.htm

W

watercolors

VC paints recommended

Catalina 22 should use not more than 2 qts. of paint for the bottom and that is for two full coats over all and a couple extra for the keel. You should get a couple seasons with this or over the next couple years buy one quart and paint a new coat every year. As stated, additional coats will start to make the bottom rough and performance will suffer. Inspecting the growth after each season will tell when to add additional coats, cleaning and sanding the rough spots smooth before painting will help maintain a good sailing bottom. A good sailing bottom is a performance bottom, IÕm not talking racing, IÕm trying to say sailing the boat as fast as you can for the wind conditions will give you better handling and less heel in the puffs by sailing fast. A very smooth bottom and keel is required. On inland lakes in our area of the country, over the past 30 years has proven VC 17 and VC Offshore as one of the best bottom paints. The Offshore will work very nice as stated above, just a little scrubbing with soap and water to remove the scum and paint. The 17 is one of the top performance paints and does give about a 10 percent speed advantage over Offshore but, it needs to be painted every year, no sanding just soab and water. The keel, bottom paint acts like a primer, it absorbs water, if it repelled water it would not wash away and need to be replaced. The metal keel needs to have more protection from the water than just rust-o-liem. Take a look a VC-Tar, looks like tar, smells like tar but is a two part paint and drys to a glass like finish. Did my keel in Ô94 and today just a couple rust spots need to be sanded before repainting.

Aldo

Jan 27, 2005
Catalina 22 Middle River, MD
More than a Quart, less than 2

Joe: You already got plenty of good input from other writers to this fourm. From my experience, and I have bottom painted my C-22 probably 20 times, it does take more than 1 quart, and less than 2. The 3 times per gallon is probably about right, but I worry about the paint drying out. The last time I bought paint I bought a gallon and I am worried about what it will look like when I open the can or jar that I stored it in. I think that Watercolors' comments about the keel are good. I have painted my keel with Rustoleum primer and then Rustoleum paints, and it isn't really quite adequate. I do know that the paint from ACE Hardware is much better than Rustoleum. There's way more solids in the can of ACE paint than a can from Rustoleum. But, I think that I'll check-out the VC-TAR paint. Watercolors, how well did you strip your keel before you painted it with the VC-TAR? If I could keep paint on my keel, year to year, there would probably be years when I wouldn't have to lift my boat at all in the spring. That would be great. I sail on brackish water to salt water, and I would now only ever use ablative paints. Otherwise, the layers of paint build-up year after year, and you end up with about a 1/16 of an inch of paint in time, and have to chip it all off. Ablative paints disolve slowly in the water. Last year, I used West Marine ablative bottom paint, and I'm not sure that I'm satisfied with it. I haven't lifted and touched-up the bottom yet this spring. It's still cold in Pennsylvania.

W

watercolors

VC tar

As with any painting job, the cleaner the better. I sandblasted the keel without removing and then expoxy filled the rough areas before appling the VC Tar. http://www.torresen.com/sailing/content_archives/002837.php is an story on VC paints.

Status
Not open for further replies.