How many people can ride on a 25' ?

Jun 11, 2015
Oday 25 Long Beach Island, NJ
Hi,
We have just purchased our first sailboat! A friend of ours will come and sail it for/with us this weekend. Can you tell me how many can safely ride the boat wile it is sailing? Thanks for any feedback!

THANK YOU all for your responses!!! I am amazed at the number of responses that came so quickly. We will make our maiden voyage this Sunday with a friend who knows sailboats. We will keep it to 3-4. I've uploaded a picture of her to this site so you can al share in our excitement. Many thanks again!

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2014
Newport Newport 28 Fair Haven, NY
Depending on the boat, and total weight of not only the crew, but also provisions and equipment. That said, I have a 26' that I easily can take 5-6 adults out on just fine. A little cramped depending on where people want to congregate, and if the weather got rough it would get a little tight if everyone tried to fit in one spot.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
My boat would hold more than 6 but not with comfort. We prefer only about 4 people on our Catalina 250. Chief

Oct 29, 2012
Catalina 30 TRBS MkII Milwaukee
Hi,
We have just purchased our first sailboat! A friend of ours will come and sail it for/with us this weekend. Can you tell me how many can safely ride the boat wile it is sailing? Thanks for any feedback!
With an average of 160 lbs per person. Boat length X boat width/15 = # ppl.
This formula is a thumb rule for boats <25'
The original Catalina 25 brochure indicate the boat sleeps five.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
O'DAY lists the recommended seating as 6 persons (165# ea.) I would think more than that would get crowded?

I would think 4-6 people in GOOD weather will be fine, less persons if the weather is less than "good". The above formula gives a capacity of 12 persons, which is far too many for a 25' sailboat! However, it does assure us that 6 persons should be within hte "safe" carrying capacity for an O'DAY 25.

PS: That formula is based on average 150# persons (how many of us fit that?) To base the number on an average 160# person (still smaller than I am!) would require dividing by 16 not 15. L x W /16 = number of persons. Based on an average 200# person, capacity will still be 9 persons..... so... I supose that under "good" weather conditions, you could carry more than 6 persons..... but it will be REAL crowded!

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
If you read the OP, he asks how many "safely", which is usually rated by the manufacturer, not the /15 formula. No doubt "the man" will give you a citation if you exceed the /15 rule- pfd's not considered. In most forum answers, just about everyone believes the number of people would all be in the cockpit. If they were below, and evenly spaced about the cabin for the boat's stability, they could cruise, maybe not in comfort, but probably in safety.

IIRC, I think the LxW/15 originated in slave days, and if you look at the 15, it is a space 30 inches by 6 feet. I'm just speculating that in old days it referred to "loose-pack" of the ... umm... "passengers". Present day /15 formula usage is to calculate how many passengers they can cram onto a cruise ship:)

Jun 11, 2015
Oday 25 Long Beach Island, NJ
Depending on the boat, and total weight of not only the crew, but also provisions and equipment. That said, I have a 26' that I easily can take 5-6 adults out on just fine. A little cramped depending on where people want to congregate, and if the weather got rough it would get a little tight if everyone tried to fit in one spot.

Thank you so much for your response!
~Sharon

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
With an average of 160 lbs per person. Boat length X boat width/15 = # ppl.
This formula is a thumb rule for boats <25'
The original Catalina 25 brochure indicate the boat sleeps five.
30 ft x 10ft =300 divided by 15 = 20 people ....i am having a hard time with that .....i could have 4 people comfortably and may 6 total but for me to put 20 people on my boat might make the coasties think i am human trafficking lol ...so i would say that rule of thumb won't work in my case

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
That rule of thumb formula is the one used in the USCG Boating Safety Requirments brochure and really is intended for calculation of persons "safe" to carry on small outboard boats (under 20' LOA).

I'd stick to the O'DAY recommended 6 persons @ 165# as the "maximum". My only point earlier was that under IDEAL conditions it "Might" be OK to have 1 or 2 more aboard....... BUT I still think more than 6 would be crowded!!

Oct 29, 2012
Catalina 30 TRBS MkII Milwaukee
30 ft x 10ft =300 divided by 15 = 20 people ....i am having a hard time with that .....i could have 4 people comfortably and may 6 total but for me to put 20 people on my boat might make the coasties think i am human trafficking lol ...so i would say that rule of thumb won't work in my case
Rule of thumb for watercraft under 25'

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Having the same boat, the boat will carry more than you will find comfortable seating for. 4 in the cockpit, 1 sunbathing on the bow, couple kids playing in the cabin, will be fine on a nice sunny light wind day.
When the winds come up and you are heeling over and tacking back and forth probably 4 in the cockpit is about max. If they are don't mind moving around, can help handle sails, etc then 6 in the cockpit but that gets tight unless they take turns standing in the companionway and sitting in various positions.
If your north of rt72, you'll need to motor up to marker 48 to find enough water. Probably 30 minute ride from Harvey Cedars marina. I have not been further south than that.
South of 72 looks to be shallow but my boat's original owner kept it in Brant Beach so maybe there is enough depth there?

I sail out of Mariners Marina in Barnegat and once or twice a year we rent a house in LoveLadies with a dock on the lagoon. We keep the boat there for a week of sailing.

The great thing about the bay is the winds. There are more days with winds than not. In fact we have been kept at the dock more times due to high winds than none.

Have fun!!!