how many more years can I get out of her?

Sep 18, 2024
Catalina 25 Jamacia Bay
Hi all I recently purchased a 1979 Catalina 25 that is in pretty good shape. New sails, and generally taken good care of interior needs a deep clean and so to be expected but my real question is how much more life can I expect from a 1979 hull? If the boat is in good structural shape, I’m pretty sure it is, will it be worth it for me to invest a few thousand dollars into it to restore the cabin , and to have the outside nicely detailed? To be honest with you all I will be paying someone else to do the deep cleaning and painting I really want it to come out nice and I don’t have the time for that

I just don’t know at what point you say it’s not worth it , but I love the boat and if I know I can get a few years out of it then I’ll gladly put in the time and money. Here are some pictures I know they are not the best

think I can get another few years ?

Attachments

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
will it be worth it for me to invest a few thousand dollars into it to restore the cabin , and to have the outside nicely detailed?
Go for it!. You won't get your investment back when you sell the boat, but you'll enjoy YOUR boat more. I've invested more in my boat than I paid for it. There's an old saying about money - you can't take it with you. Welcome to the forum! :beer:

Sep 18, 2024
Catalina 25 Jamacia Bay
Go for it!. You won't get your investment back when you sell the boat, but you'll enjoy YOUR boat more. I've invested more in my boat than I paid for it. There's an old saying about money - you can't take it with you. Welcome to the forum! :beer:
Thanks for the reply, I like that saying!!

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I just don’t know at what point you say it’s not worth it , but I love the boat and if I know I can get a few years out of it then I’ll gladly put in the time and money.
:laugh:

Ask yourself, "What if this was a car, not a boat?" Would you collect it? Would you spend money to improve it to your liking?

Will the boat last a few more years? Sure. Maybe 20 years. Will you be able to sell it for what you paid plus your investment in it? Probably not.

Who knows how much enjoyment will you get sailing the boat? Is there a value for enjoyment?

Will this boat appreciate in value like fine wine? No!. If you take care of it (maintenance and dock storage have a cost) so that the engine runs and the boat sails, looks as good as it does today, the depreciated value will be better than if you just consume it and let it sit in the water.

Sep 18, 2024
Catalina 25 Jamacia Bay
:laugh:

Ask yourself, "What if this was a car, not a boat?" Would you collect it? Would you spend money to improve it to your liking?

Will the boat last a few more years? Sure. Maybe 20 years. Will you be able to sell it for what you paid plus your investment in it? Probably not.

Who knows how much enjoyment will you get sailing the boat? Is there a value for enjoyment?

Will this boat appreciate in value like fine wine? No!. If you take care of it (maintenance and dock storage have a cost) so that the engine runs and the boat sails, looks as good as it does today, the depreciated value will be better than if you just consume it and let it sit in the water.
Good points , and I guess enjoyment does have a price. You really think I can get 20 years out of her ?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
No inboard engine I assume, so no big worries with that. Fiberglass hulls are pretty long-lived…we don’t really know how long they will last, but there are plenty of 60’s vintage fiberglass boats out there. Newer fiberglass, while generally thinner have improved fiberglass and resins.

I wouldn’t go crazy on a 1979 built 25 foot boat, but maintaining the boat and making improvements that make your use of the boat more enjoyable are certainly worthwhile.

Greg

Sep 18, 2024
Catalina 25 Jamacia Bay
No inboard engine I assume, so no big worries with that. Fiberglass hulls are pretty long-lived…we don’t really know how long they will last, but there are plenty of 60’s vintage fiberglass boats out there. Newer fiberglass, while generally thinner have improved fiberglass and resins.

I wouldn’t go crazy on a 1979 built 25 foot boat, but maintaining the boat and making improvements that make your use of the boat more enjoyable are certainly worthwhile.

Greg
Yea no inboard 2005 Yamaha 4 stroke that appears to be in good shape will get a better idea after end of season maintenance, so I guess this will be an experiment how long I can get this hill to last , thanks!

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
I have a 1978 Catalina 27 with an Atomic 4 inboard. The motor is nearly perfect (<800 hrs and I like maintaining it) and I'd say the only thing that will lead to this boat degrading to the point of being non-sailable will be water ingress in the deck. It's a lake boat/day sailer and I don't really have the inclination or time to spend tearing out rotted core and whatnot, plus she sails for six months then sits fully covered for the rest of the year. I keep it clean and fix big problems, like completely rewiring the engine and replacing gauges last year (mainly because I like that kind of stuff). So I'm resigned to see who gives out first, me the aging sailor, or the old tub, but I'm not betting against her. I'd venture to say your 25 can outlast you as well, under the right care.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Somethings are not about money. If all you care about is dollars and cents, and you expect put money into this boat and get it back, then owning a used sailboat is not for you.
If you enjoy any aspect of owning a vintage sailboat i.e. sailing it, working on it, restoring it, using it as a cocktail barge, a fishing platform, a camper or whatever else, then the money is about your entertainment. If you think about other expenses you have that entertain you, and for which you will never be re-paid, the cost is not the issue.
By all means don't neglect it. A clean well cared for used boat will sell while a mess won't.
BTY, I stayed at Breezy Point last weekend and I understand that Jamaica Bay has made a remarkable comeback. It would be lovely sailing with a reliable sea breeze and much wildlife to enjoy.

Sep 18, 2024
Catalina 25 Jamacia Bay
Somethings are not about money. If all you care about is dollars and cents, and you expect put money into this boat and get it back, then owning a used sailboat is not for you.
If you enjoy any aspect of owning a vintage sailboat i.e. sailing it, working on it, restoring it, using it as a cocktail barge, a fishing platform, a camper or whatever else, then the money is about your entertainment. If you think about other expenses you have that entertain you, and for which you will never be re-paid, the cost is not the issue.
By all means don't neglect it. A clean well cared for used boat will sell while a mess won't.
BTY, I stayed at Breezy Point last weekend and I understand that Jamaica Bay has made a remarkable comeback. It would be lovely sailing with a reliable sea breeze and much wildlife to enjoy.
Very well said ! I will be using the boat as all of those things, sometimes people look at me weird for motoring out and fluke fishing off a sailboat lol.

yes I’m Regards to Breezy Jamaica Bay has made a tremendous come back and it is absolutely beautiful and full of life. How did you like your stay?