how does the water heater work?

Oct 17, 2011
Catalina 310 USA
Ok, I will admit it, I have no idea how the water heater actually works. Since it has the engine coolant running through it, is it always "hot" when the engine is up to temp? Do I have to have it turned "on" on the switch panel? Can it get "hot" if sitting at dock/anchor w/o the engine hot (does it have a heating element)?

sorry for the rookie questions, but I have never tried to use it yet. :doh:

Thanks

Mar 11, 2015
Hunter 33.5 Tacoma, WA
It most likely has a 1500W heating element via the AC switch panel, and an internal heat exchanger from the hoses to the engine.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
It works just as mz described. Keep in mind the water can get very hot when the engine is running, unless you use a mixing valve at the hot water outlet on the heater.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Keep in mind the water can get very hot when the engine is running, unless you use a mixing valve at the hot water outlet on the heater.
As Tom has mentioned, the hot water can "fry your a$$ off" if the engine has been running for a number of hours. You engine runs around 175 deg. F and your hot water will eventually get that hot as well.

The point here is that you want to make sure your hot water hose is not some cheap material which will fail (burst) at these elevated temperatures :cussing:.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Water will get hot when the engine comes up to temp, it will lag behind a bit. Most have an electric element as well, be very careful never to turn on the electric when the heater is empty, ie, winterized. This will melt the element in short order.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?p=1103842&highlight=habit

Also get in the habit of turning off the water pressure breaker and letting the water out of the system when you leave the boat.

Many of us turn it off at night, too, even when onboard.

Don't leave the power on for more than the 15-20 minutes it takes to heat the water either.

Also, Google Seaward water heater manual. Helpful to have if you don't.

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?p=1103842&highlight=habit

Also get in the habit of turning off the water pressure breaker and letting the water out of the system when you leave the boat.

Many of us turn it off at night, too, even when onboard.

Don't leave the power on for more than the 15-20 minutes it takes to heat the water either.

Also, Google Seaward water heater manual. Helpful to have if you don't.
Also, do not ever ever turn on the AC switch for the hot water heater unless you have water in the tank. Doing so on an empty tank and your element wll fry out in about 10 min. (One reason they tape over the switch at boat shows to keep lookers from playing with the switch.