How does the Venture 17/21 kickup rudder work?

sasjzl

Aug 17, 2016
Macgregor Venture Oriental, NC
I am in the process of removing 40 plus years of paint off the 2 piece rudder on my brand new (to me) Venture 17. Somehow I am not getting how it would kickup? It appears to be 2 pieces of wood (nice wood in fact) that are attached by 2 very solid metal plates. The 2 pieces are held together by the plates with a sizable bolt and an array of smaller bolts. There is a line with multiple clamshells (?) for adjusting the line. What I don't get is how, or if, the lower piece is supposed to 'kickup' like 90 degrees for going through shallow water or beaching. I remembered take many pictures so that I will have a fighting chance of getting it together again. I searched online for pictures of one assembled but only found 1 in Google images as unassembled.

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee
1973 Macgregor Venture 17

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
post a pic or two of what you have.... it will be easier to help you if we can see it.
do a search for swing up rudder modifications... it may give you an idea of how they work.
you may or may not have a swing up rudder as ive seen folding rudders with the pivot bolt so tight that it is a fixed rudder... but if you have full side plates it should be easy to modify to a folding rudder...

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
im not sure why the files loaded the way they did, or if they are even viewable from that side.... but they work when I click on them.